We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

halal or muslim food

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Topic
halal or muslim food

i am a strict, halal or muslim food only consumer. Are these food readily available in restraunts and the streets of Yangon. Could you recommend places where i can these food especially with a local flavor.

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: halal or muslim food

All I can say at this moment is Yes, you can have your halal food in Yangon restaurant and streets . One of the restaurant I remember is call "Mandalay Restaurant" which is in street called "Daw Thein Tin Road". The restaurant is small , but quiet crowded all the time . I used to buy "roasted duck" from there and they are halal restaurant.

Actually , quite a numbers of halal restaurants in Yangon , except in hotels and you do not need to worry about that.

I just remember one more restaurant in "Phoe Sein Road" ."Holiday Restaurant" also Halal restaurant.

Usually, they put the sign "786" .

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: halal or muslim food

thanks mgzayman, thank you also tripadvisor. you guys are a real life saver.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: halal or muslim food

Yangon has a fair sized Musilm population, it's nowhere near the size of the Buddhist population but it's still very noticeable. There's a few very nice mosques in town worth checking out, nothing as elaborate as what you have in some states of Malaysia but still worth a visit.

There's heaps of good eats in Yangon, you'll have no problem finding Muslim food, if you want to find the best of what the locals would eat then just drop by one of the many mosques, they'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Edited: 18 August 2010, 12:58
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: halal or muslim food

salam,

if you are at downtown area, there is a lot of muslim stalls. Look for the sign "786" at the shop signage. Opposite Bogyoke market there is a masjid. If you go to the lane by the side of that masjid, the whole stretch practically sells halal food.

Top chicken near the American Vision optical shop sells halal fried chicken. There is a lot of briyani stall around downtown area too. Just ask around.

Micasa hotel has a halal cafe. Now they are having Ramadhan buffet. Hope this helps

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: halal or muslim food

Thanks BonZaiReserVoir n pixie0908. That was truly helpful n informative. I had fist browse the internet for information but the pix was mostly scatchy. i came across the number signs but i wasn't too convinced. the you tubes upload wasnt of much help either. Now, i am ready for Yangon come this October. Thanks again guys. Salam.

malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: halal or muslim food

Dear Mahfoor, hope u can share ur experience with the masjids and halal restaurants. I'm going in late Oct. TQ.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: halal or muslim food

Dear spike_thru, we just got back from Yangon yesterday (after 2 nights stay). I cant say if i would come back for a return visit. There wasn't much to tell really, apart from hectic scrambling of people especially in the downtown area, balancing on uneven pavement made narrow by free for all vendors displaying their made in china wares and who knows what and It was raining like mad that afternoon that helps cool down the weather but add more chaos to the situation. Mosques are a plenty. i found four mosques all within the same vicinity of down town, an area opposite of Bogyoke ( Pronounced Bo joke) market. AS for halal food task for Nilar Briyani restaurant, its 10m upon turning right from end of the lane that pass through between Central Hotel and Traders Hotel. Good luck

malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: halal or muslim food

Thanx Mahfoor. It does help to know more what's in store.

9. Re: halal or muslim food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 14:16