We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
9 reviews
13 helpful votes
Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

Could you please help with some detailed information on what to wear in Egypt.

I've seen advice that knees must be covered. Does this mean a knee length skirt where knees can be seen is not appropriate?

Do entire arms need to be covered to the elbow at all times or only at temples & mosques?

I have been told as I have blonde hair I should cover my hair at all times, is this correct?

TIA for any advice.

I will be travelling in May

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
800 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

Well, question should be: when are you going to egypt? Early mornings and after sunset in winter is pretty chilly.

Forget all old myths you hear about how to dress.

Cut top, just below knee or even above skirts, short, leggings you can def wear all of this in Egypt (except when visiting mosques and if going to a busy market).

No need to cover your blonde hair when walking or visiting any of the sites, def not!

At the hotel/cruise or red sea resort you can freely wear bikini by the pool/on the beach.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
9 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

Thanks for your response

I will be visiting in May

Edited: 18 January 2023, 18:48
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
653 reviews
236 helpful votes
3. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

The more you cover the less attention you will get! From locals and the sun!

This last year I have seen more and more tourists in Cairo wearing less and less! Then looking uncomfortable as they try and cover up with a scarf, when being stared at.

One very embarrassing incident when a tourist couple ate ate the same local restaurant as us.. she was wearing a skimpy vest, a guy was openly staring and ogling sitting at the adjacent table, he was manhandled out of the place after refusing to stop.

The sun is fierce (particularly in upper Egypt ie Luxor and Aswan ) and protective clothing for skin is advisable to protect the skin and reduce the burning heat.

A headscarf is only necessary for visiting a working mosque, a sun hat however will protect your head from the sun!

Edited: 18 January 2023, 20:04
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
17,446 posts
339 reviews
612 helpful votes
4. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

Note the type of dress with these visitors to the Valley of Kings

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/40198671193/in/album-72157690673082522/

Absolutely NOTHING to do with respect. 100% to do with Comfort and staying as cool as possible.

You might meet 40°C in the shade. There isn't any shade to speak of, so the perceived temperature on your skin is nearer 60°C if it isn't covered.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
17,446 posts
339 reviews
612 helpful votes
5. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

#3 - Are there any non-working mosques??

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
653 reviews
236 helpful votes
6. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

Mohamed Ali mosque at the citadel is not classed as a working mosque, and there are others where you don’t need to cover up, but to be fair most require you to do so.

West Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
59 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Save

You will have a more enjoyable time in Egypt if you cover up. Egypt is a conservative country. The Egyptian women that you see will be covered. That is the norm for women in Egypt. The big reason to cover up IMO is what Catherine has shared already about getting too much unwanted attention.

I have witnessed tourists wearing minimal clothing at sites or wondering through bazaars, people staring at them and just making the whole Egypt experience awkward. Because they stand out they get a more hassle at sites with the seller of wares. Covering your shoulders and knees will help and don’t wear any really low cut tops.

You will actually find as eLaReF has said that you will be cooler covering up. That’s what how the Egyptian’s dress.

Reply to: Dressing respectfully & need to cover blonde hair?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.