We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zip lock bags

Thionville, France
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
zip lock bags

Hi,

whats the latest on the 20cm x 20cm zip lock bags used for carrying liquids, cream etc? Has anyone had problems at Mombasa etc. None of the airline web sites have anything flagged up about the use of plastic bags, neither does the FO web site. I got a friend to contact Frankfurt police ( res

airport security ) on the subject . The person spoken to had no knowledge on the ban on plastic bags, but said that anyone flying in or out of Frankfurt with liquids creams etc not in the regulation sized plastic bag would have them confiscated ( including medication )! As we fly out of Frankfurt in both directions we are going to need the bags going into Kenya ( we could always dump the bag at the airport if necessary ), but will need the bags leaving Kenya to clear Frankfurt security for our on going flight.

24 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zip lock bags

Plastic bags are banned in Kenya.

New law is quite simple:

'Making, selling or even using a plastic bag is now a crime in Kenya, & punishable...'

https:/…kenya-plastic-bags-ban.html

Thionville, France
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zip lock bags

I'm sorry but you are wrong - go on the Nema web site and read the legislation as I've just done, if you added single use in front of plastic bag your statement would be totally correct. I think most of what Kenya is doing is good, the problem is they are not moving fast enough on communicating the details & exemptions. The statement by Nema that some airlines require plastic bags for liquids is incorrect- Its EU & US legislation ( admittedly by its regulatory bodies ) that requires it. Do the Kenya Airports not apply the same rules on liquids?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zip lock bags

I ditched my liquids bag on the plane on the way to Kenya. Upon leaving and subsequently connecting through Heathrow, there was a need to reclear security in London. They have plenty of the bags before heading into the line. I just one and placed my liquids in it. I tried to minimize the liquids as I was on the way home anyhow.

Thionville, France
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zip lock bags

Hopefully the same will apply at Frankfurt, but there weren't any bags available last time I came through.

Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: zip lock bags

Stefan, if you're going to quote the letter of the law it's wise to go to the sources rather than rely on a news clipping, and one that's two months old at that.

There's been plenty of clarification on here about what bags are exempt, but your posts don't seem to indicate that you've been reading them.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zip lock bags

Can't you just use those clear sturdy, reusable plastic pockets? The ones specially designed for hand luggage. They only cost a couple of quid so that's what I was planning on doing next time.

Thionville, France
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zip lock bags

Provided they are transparent, 20 cm x 20 cm maximum size and resealable, then yes they would get you through Airport security and hopefully into Kenya as they are not a single use plastic bag - but then again neither are ziplock bags.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,535 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zip lock bags

NEMA were asked specifically in a Twitter Q&A session whether the ban included ziplock bags and they said they were

Thionville, France
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zip lock bags

Yes I saw that, and we have to accept it although the legislation reads otherwise. I'm a bit puzzled though about security aspects in Kenya airports. Europe legislation gives the right to ban flights from countries not applying security controls - one of the reasons Egypt got it self banned for a short while after the shooting down of the russian airliner. Does the ban on ziplock mean that kenya airports are not applying the controls on liquids in carry on bags or are they just turning a blind eye to the ziplocks as they are obviously leaving the country? Why not sell bags in the duty free? Germany security take it very seriously - I got stuff confiscated at Frankfurt because my ziplock bag was oversize ( 25 cm x 20 cm instead of 20 cm x 20 cm ) and they didn't have bags available for you to change it - The German security police don't take any prisoners, ask my wife she sets off the security arch everytime she goes through it ( 2 hip replacements ) and always has a difficult 5 minutes at Frankfurt.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: zip lock bags

Departing NYC I haven't taken out my 1-qt ziplock bag in years to place down to be scanned... just keep walking and no one bothers to stop me. Nowadays I just pack it in my stored/checked luggage that's already been stored under the plane...

As to metal inside body... ha! ha! - I'm a bionic women with so much metal and advise them before hand and they leave me be.

Nor do I remove shoes, rather just walk thru, bells go off but I just sit on a chair and let the agent remove them and put them thru the scanner and return them to me... they're flip flops so no metal in them idiots!.

All my cloths are packed in ziplocks and stored under the plane.

Reply to: zip lock bags
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted