We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Currency

My wife and I are travelling from the UK to Kenya on a safari later this month. I need to know if anyone can advise on currency, do we take GBP, and change on arrival, can we get local currency at the airport on arrival or take Kenyan currency with us. Also, is it worth taking USD to pay for trips from Nairobi and drinks and meals. Our safari provides all meals but not drinks, therefore I'm assuming local currency will be required. Help needed, running out of time

17 replies to this topic
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Currency

Take some sterling cash. Change this at the airport to KSH (in arrivals there is a Forex). Have a card available for getting more KSH from an ATM (or bank) if you need it. I have found this better than getting the cash in the UK.

Dollars may be needed if there are any specific things you need to pay for, but it sounds like you have pre-paid pretty much everything.

Pay locally in KSH.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Currency

The local currency ( KES ) is weak against the GBP & USD $. It's makes 'economic sense' to pay for goods & services in local currency.

As Andrew says, bring GBP which you can change into KES. Plenty of banks & FX Bureaus to change cash.

Bring your ATM Card which you can use at local ATMs, notably Standard Chartered, Barclays & KCB.

Unfortunately, there's a hefty charge for using ATM Card.

Karibu

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Currency

Thanks for that, youve made it all a lot clearer. As you say we have paid for most meals while on safari but I'm still not too sure how much to exchange for drinks on the safaris and tips.

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Currency

Thanks for the advice re ATM's, are there any that haven't a hefty charge?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
280 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Currency

There are numerous forex shops in Nairobi, a few available at the airport. Safari Agents/ companies accept GBP, USD etc. But you will need to have Kenya shillings to pay for your drinks in the restaurants/ lodges while on holiday.

N.

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Currency

Thanks much appreciated

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Currency

Can anyone give me some idea what the typical cost of drinks are likely to be, at safari lodges ie beer, and wine etc

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Currency

I always tell my UK clients they're going to be paying roughly British pub prices, and in fact often quite a lot less in hotel bars and at meals. You can usually get a half-litre cold beer for under Ksh500, often Ksh3-400, and a large glass of wine for around Ksh4–600. Assume around Ksh 135 to the pound.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Currency

Hotel / Lodge drinks are quite expensive.

Beers $2-3 ; Pop Sodas $1.50 ; Juices $2-3 ; Cocktails $3-5 ; Mineral Water $1.50+ ; Wine Glass $3

Can I suggest making a trip to the local Supermarket to buy drinks & storing it in the room fridge.

Karibu

nottingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Currency

Thanks for all your advice, at least, now I have some idea of prices, I can work out how much Ksh to change.

Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted