We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?

Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?
Save

My tour company is recommending Ol Pejeta over Lewa, as there aren't many accommodations left for our family of 4, hoping to go in Dec. 2023.

He says Ol Pejata is great, but that Lewa is better (in that it is larger, and less close to human settlements). Apparently, from the east side of Ol Pejeta, one can sometimes see human habitation from Nanyuki town, which for some clients, can negatively affect their enjoyment of the vistas.

Any thoughts on these two places? Or would we have a great experience regardless?

3 replies to this topic
Manchester-by-the-Se...
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
191 reviews
255 helpful votes
1. Re: Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?
Save

I've been to Ol Pejeta and don't remember seeing human settlements. I do however remember seeing them in the Maasai Mara and it didn't at all detract from my enjoyment of the vistas. Your mileage may vary. I think with the conservancies you have to realize that some are organized as a conservation initiative with the local people, so to think they're not going to be there in some sense isn't realistic. I think you'll be fine either way. I guess I'd ask you if you have reasons for choosing one over the other otherwise? What are you hoping to see or do that one will deliver over the other?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?
Save

Both are great. Lewa is definitely wilder feeling. Ol Pejeta is fenced, and you will probably see the fence at some, or several points, as well as the lights of town, and there are more other vehicles around. So definitely less wild and remote.

However what is incredibly cool at Ol Pejeta, and especially if your family includes kids, is the educational aspect. Each camp runs their own game drives out in the conservancy, but there are several activities run by the conservancy itself (usually at extra cost) which are really great. You can visit/feed Baraka the blind rhino (great for younger kids), see the last two Northern White Rhinos ON THE PLANET, visit the small education centre, even go running with the anti poaching dogs (for fit adults only). So I think Ol Pejeta is really great for learning about the more practical side of running a conservancy and learning about how everything really works, rather than just looking at the wildlife. Even if you just go look at one of the elephant corridor openings and you can see how they are constructed to allow certain animals in and out but to keep the rhinos in.

In general I would say most of the accommodation on Ol Pejeta is slightly more low key than Lewa, but still nice. Sweetwaters is on the busier side, but the tented camps are in the more remote part where there are fewer visitors. The Porini camp in particular, is in the most remote part of Ol Pejeta so you're a lot less likely to see other visitors near camp there.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
65 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?
Save

I have been to both, I don’t remember seeing human settlements from Ol pejeta . I stayed at sweetwaters.

I enjoyed both places . Lewa would probably be less crowded since there are less camps. I think the camps tend to be more expensive than options in Ol Pejeta. We enjoyed Lewa House in 2021 and it would be nice place for family. The owners have two children who we saw often hanging out with the children of some of the guests. The owners sophie and Callum are great. They include horse back ride with 3 nights stay. I think there is an opportunity to go to a forest nearby and other activities. We didn’t do those I did do a horseback ride, it’s done over at Lewa Wilderness, Sophie’s relatives own that camp.

Ol Pejeta has several activities too. We did the anti poaching dog tracking exercise in 2018 with Otis one of the bloodhounds and liked that. We just walked out a ways into the bush with the ranger and he found us by scent. It was a great opportunity to talk to a ranger and get to learn more about his job. Also we saw the two northern white rhinos. I am returning in May and staying at a camp in a less crowded part of the conservancy called the Safari Cottages.

I saw a lot of rhino in both conservancies.

Reply to: Ol Pejata vs. Lewa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.