We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

I am confused about what type of Visa I need for Kenya as a US Citizen.

My trip to both Tanzania and Kenya involves me passing through immigration twice. The first is when landing in Nairobi from Europe where I will need to claim my bags, pass through immigration and re-check them on another airline to Tanzania. Later in the trip (2 week period) I will be entering Nairobi for a safari at a border crossing.

Is it true that I need only a single-entry visa? I would apply for a multiple-entry visa to be safe but I’ve read somewhere: Travelers applying for 6-month multiple entry visas must show proof of one previous Kenyan visa in their current passport.” As this is my first trip to Kenya I don’t have any previous Kenyan visas. So I’m confused!

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Malik Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
39 replies to this topic
Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

We are arriving on an international flight to Nairobi, Kenya for the first part of our vacation, then traveling to Ethiopia. After our vacation in Ethiopia, we will be returning back to Nairobi for 1 night, to head home. Will we require a single entry visa, and a transit visa?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,023 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

KVKKelly,

Yes, if you are having the first part of your vacation in Kenya you will require a single entry visa to cover that, and a transit visa would cover your overnight stay between flights on your return from Ethiopia.

Ethiopia is not a member of the East African Community so the reciprocal agreement on visas still being valid on return does not apply

Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

Thank you for your help!

Winston Salem...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

I'm traveling with some friends, arriving in Kenya in January 20, with an overnight stay, then going to Tanzania. We'll return on 2/3 to the airport in Nairobi to fly out. One of my traveling companions applied for a single entry visa, putting the dates from 1/20-2/3, which doesn't seem correct to me. It seems like it would be 1/20-1/21, and then you can re-enter for fly out for the return. Do you have any advise? Thanks for the help.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,023 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

As you are essentially transiting through Kenya rather than visiting Kenya you have two choices.

You can do as your friend has done and apply for a single trip visa to cover the entirety of your trip. Your friend is correct their visa will cover the trip to Tanzania and will be valid for the return trip. If you do it the way you suggest the visa will have expired before your return and you will have no authority to enter Kenya on the return trip.

Alternatively you can get two transit Visas at a cost of $20 each to cover your transit through Kenya. You can get them either in advance or on arrival at the airport and, on return, at the border. (This is based on the implied assumption that you are travelling to and from Tanzania by road rather than flying)

Level Contributor
1,245 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

And you will need proof of yellow fever innoculation if you are stamped into Kenya before proceeding to Tanzania.

27. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 00:07

Level Contributor
1,245 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

You can renew your tourist visa inside Kenya by visiting any immigration office. The three month extension costs about 20 USD. Re Tanzania, I never tried to do a renewal while there so I don't know if it's routine or not, or what the fee is. But Kenya and Tanzania don't coordinate their visas so your length of stay in one country would have no effect on what you're entitled to in the other. However as you probably know, you can move between the two countries without voiding your visa for either country due to a bilateral agreement.

Edited: 16 February 2018, 07:21
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

Addendum: I saw EAC mentioned in your post. Tanzania isn't part of the East Africa Tourist Visa (EATV) scheme which only includes Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. I should have noted that in my first reply...

30. Re: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 00:08

Reply to: Kenya Visa Question - Single Entry or Multiple Entry?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted