We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Hello fellow travelers,

I am searching for international flights from SFO to NBO. Qatar and Ethiopian airlines both come up with good prices and good flight schedules.

I don't know much about these airlines. Are they reputable airlines for this super long flights to East Africa? i.e. Good planes, safe airline, good service, flights are reasonably on time, and are not in the habit of losing luggage etc.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
34 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Both airlines are pretty good, if you dont want long layovers, i would highly recommend Qatar.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Having had a flight on Ethiopian Airlines from London Heathrow to Addis Ababa to Nairobi to Kilimanjaro to Mombasa,

On Dreamliner to Addis Ababa then another comfortable plane to destination, excellent flight and service and entertainment and good crowd on board,

If your return transit is over 8 hours at Addis Ababa, you receive Free visa, transport in good vehicle, hotel, food and drinks, and Addis Ababa has excellent roads,

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

The best airlines in the world are the Middle Eastern and Far Eastern airlines, of which Qatar is one, in fact it was voted best airline in the world earlier this year. Ethiopian is on the same level as most European airlines, that means it is better than most American airlines.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

I have used Qatar several times (London to Nairobi). It's arguably one of the best airlines around and I have no hesitation recommending them.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

We are glad to hear that they are both great airlines!

Thank you all for your inputs.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Qatar Airways, no questions asked. Far superior catering, beverage selection, transit airport )(DOH vs. ADD), luggage allowance, and cabin crew.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

My last visit was via Qatar and it was fine - it took off and landed - and the price was great.

Emirates is also great, having flown with them a few times.

What I like about these two is that they arrive mid-day rather than most others that arrive in the evening.

And their layovers whether in Doha (Qatar) or Dubai ( Emiratesi) were just a few hours.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 04:13
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

We have flown with Emirates on a trip to South Africa. You are right. It is a great airline. But their arrival time into NBO is weird. Most of their flights arrive into NBO at 2:30AM.

What can we do if we arrive NBO at 2:30AM? Sit in the airport and wait for day break? Our tour operator will pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel. But would they come and get us in the middle of the night? And I don't think hotel will let us check in that early.

This is why we are looking at Qatar and Ethiopian flights.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
511 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Having flown on both Qatar and Ethiopian from Los Angeles to Nairobi several times, I would say that Qatar may be a wee better. I somehow prefer the transit time in Doha than in Addis. There is so much more to do at the Doha airport than in ADD.

I have not flown on Economy on Ethiopian, but the lounge in ADD was packed to capacity and the food sucked.

An advantage with Qatar is that it has 3 or 4 connections a day between Doha and Nairobi, so your transit will be shorter.

Be aware that Ethiopian changes flight times very often, and have changed the aircraft and schedule for my January trip four times. If you book Ethiopian, make sure you keep checking constantly for changes.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??

Happy Traveler,

If you have a tour already arranged, I don't see why the TO shouldn't pick you up when you land. Ask them if you have early check-in at the hotel. If not, it's more comfortable to relax in the hotel lobby a few hours than to wait at the airport.

Reply to: Ethiopian Air & Qatar Airways ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted