We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
550 posts
143 reviews
Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

My wife and I will be flying from Wilson to Maasai Mara later this year. On our way back from Maasai Mara, we hope to connect on the earliest flight from the Ngerende strip, which is on Air Kenya and arrives at Wilson at 10:15 am, to our NBO South Africa flight to Joburg at 3:50 pm. From information in another thread, I believe that leaves us enough time. I am aware of the 15 kg/soft bag limit.

Here's the challenge: This is just part of a complicated trip that involves lots of flights and airports, so we definitely want to bring our wheelies with us for all flights except to and from Maasai Mara. So does Air Kenya have a storage facility at Wilson? If so, what does it charge? And if not, does anyone have a sense of whether it would be possible to store our bags at Safarilink if we were to only fly them outbound?

Any other advice on how to deal with this would be welcome. Thanks.

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that a wheelie that has somewhat flexible sides (as opposed to a hard shell) does not count as an acceptable soft bag.

Edited: 05 April 2018, 08:57
6 replies to this topic
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
550 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

PS: I should have added that we're not using any tour operator - just flying to MM to stay at a hotel there. Also, if we can't store the bags at Wilson, could we do so at Kenyatta airport?

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

We have stored suitcases with air kenya at Wilson airport, no problems. Didn't cost much from memory( maybe just a USD 10 tip). We will be leaving our bags there again this June

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
550 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

Thanks very much, Lynne!

4. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 20:41

Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

I took my wheelie on the safari link plane and it's fine - as long as you're within the 15kg limit for wheelie including hand luggage. Really. We had 2 wheelies with a hard plastic half shell and soft everywhere else. All was fine. You stow your hand luggage by the door as you climb in, just taking items out for your lap. They also give you a bottle of water and a brown paper bag with an additional drink and snack in, unless it's around a meal time, in which case they give you a sandwich!

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?

I will be flying on SAX, Safarilink had stored luggage,

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k7296028-Luggage_storage_with_Safarilink_at_Wilson_Airport-Nairobi.html'

Do you store luggage with the airline or is ther a luggage service?

Reply to: Luggage storage at Wilson Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted