We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safaricom SIM

Zabbar, Malta
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Safaricom SIM

Hi there,

I'm starting to visit Kenya regularly (once/twice a year) and last I was there in Feb I managed to get a Safari com SIM from JKIA with data since this is something I need when there. I was extremely happy with the coverage, signal and cost.

When it was being set up I was advised that the sim card will expire after a few months of no-use and I'm now reaching that point. I was also told that I can keep it activated by topping a minimal amount on it which will renew it for another few months. As I'll be going back in a couple of months I'm trying to figure out how I can top it up online? Doing a balance check says it will expire in a couple of weeks time so I'm guessing I'm still in time (although I'm unable to call the SIM - I'm guessing because there's not enough credit).

With that in mind:

- Any pointers as to how I can top up online? I thought it was going to be easy but got a bit lost :)

- If topping up fails and I'll need to get a new SIM, does anyone have any idea on what sort of opening hours the Safaricom shop at JKIA runs at? Last time I just got out of Terminal 1E, crossed the road into the covered car park, and turned right (not sure if there's other safaricom shops at JKIA?) but I arrived there at 7:30pm, this time I'll arrive there after 10:00pm so not sure if it'll still be open.

I did try to look this stuff online but it got a bit confusing quickly.

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

22 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
503 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Safaricom SIM

Airport Safaricom; Address: Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (Lounges),Gate 11

Email: JKIAshop@safaricom.co.ke

Weekday: 6:00a.m - 12:00 Midnight

Weekend: 6:00a.m - 12:00 Midnight

Zabbar, Malta
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Safaricom SIM

Fantastic - thank you so much!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Safaricom SIM

Hi everyone,

may I add my question regarding safaricom in this thread:

I cant finde on their website how much the Sim to buy cost and which PrePaid-Plan I can use for Data usage?

Or is it just one kind of prepaid Sim which I have to topup and buy a Data Package?

Thank you for your answers.

Level Contributor
503 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Safaricom SIM

Here is all the info; https:/…92373136

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,688 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Safaricom SIM

Scermat,

There are two different expiry dates, airtime expires a set period after you purchase it, when you purchase airtime regularly the expiry period for each credit becomes longer. If you are doing a balance check the expiry date you see is for the airtime credit you currently have.

However Safaricom suspends a SIM after 6 months of inactivity, ie no airtime purchase or chargeable events (calls or SMSs). There is then have a period of 3 months when you can reactivate the SIM. If you do not the SIM / phone number is made available to allocate to someone else.

If your airtime is still valid I think you should be able to buy yourself some time and 'reset the clock' for a further 6 months by sending an SMS.

You can top up your airtime online, googling will produce a number of companies offering the service but one company offering the service that I know and use regularly is WorldRemit (I've never used their top up service but I've been using their money transfer service for a couple of years now mainly for Bank transfers but also a couple of times direct to Mpesa accounts when I've been out of the country, it is an excellent service)

https://www.worldremit.com/en/kenya/safaricom

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,688 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Safaricom SIM

Doc,Hollwood,

You buy a prepaid SIM, it is a long time since I bought one so I don't know what they currently cost but they are cheap, 100 or 200 Kenya Shillings. Then you buy airtime credit. This covers you for calls and SMSs and you can also access the internet but it is much cheaper to buy a data bundle for internet access. You use some of your airtime credit to buy an appropriate data bundle.

The people in the Safaricom shop will arrange all this for you. You will need your passport handy when you buy the SIM

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Safaricom SIM

Great, Thank you for clarification

Montreal
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Safaricom SIM

Hi,

I'm assuming that the location at Gate 11 is on the Departure side of security.

Is there a kiosk on the Arrivals side?

Thanks

Alberta
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Safaricom SIM

I need to buy a Safaricom SIM too. I’ll be coming out of JKIA from an international flight. How would I go about doing this, what info or docs do i need and how much will it cost?

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
10. Re: Safaricom SIM

Wondering the same - is there really no Safaricom shop in the arrivals hall? :/

Reply to: Safaricom SIM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairobi