We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Topic
Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

Hi,

We have a Safari planned in October and not sure whether to book tipilikwani camp or mara Sarova. Tipilikwani camp is just outside Talek Gate and is about 3 years old. Has anyone stayed at both camps? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

I thought Tipilikwani was quite nice, relatively small, with 20 tents along the riverside. It's got really good, light public areas and a fantastic deck. It's only two years old. Unfortunately it's in a very crowded area along the Talek, with quite a few other camps nearby and it's got the most off-putting entrance of any camp in the Mara.

Mara Sarova is a long-established, much bigger set-up, with really good grounds, a pool, quite a busy feel, but very well run in a mainstream, tour industry way. Boutique it is not, but it is on its own. On balance, quotes being equal, I'd probably choose this.

Richard

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

I just spent 3 nights at Camp Tipilikwani a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Yes, it does have an off putting entrance and you are close to some other camps but you would never know it once you are inside the gates. The tents are quite luxurious. I was in a tent with a King size bed while other tents have 2 queen size beds. The staff and guides were extremely gracious and went out of their way to accommodate special requests. Yes, it's not as large as Sarova so it doesn't have the pool or massages, but it certainly makes up for it in all the other aspects. It's sits across the Talek River so is not officially in the park but that didn't keep me from hearing the hyenas howling at night. I have friends that work for Origins, one of the nicer safari companies in Kenya, and Tipilikwani was recommended by the owner over Sarova.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

mottjp

You paint a good picture of Tipilikwani, and the staff attitude sounds excellent – I think that can make all the difference. Did you book independently, and if so did you use Tipilikwani's vehicles and guides? Or did you go with an operator?

Richard

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

I booked using Origins Safaris as I have friends there. I did use the camps guides and vehicles. The two main guides are Dee and Jonathon, who are both Maasai. The vehicles are Range Rovers (or Land Rovers, I always switch the two) so you don't have to worry about being in a minivan. They are not the newest of vehicles but dependable and comfortable none the less. All but one of my drives was with Jonathon, but the drive with Dee was nice as well.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

Origins have a spectacular reputation and more bronze and silver guides than any other company in Kenya – and one of only four gold guides in the country.

It sounds like you were completely happy with the camp guides, so I'm glad you had such a great time!

Richard

6. Re: Tipilikwani camp vs Mara Sarova

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...