We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a camera for Safari

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a camera for Safari

Need a new camera and need advice on what to buy. Was looking at a budget of around £100 and can get up to 5x optical zoom and at least 10 megapixel etc..

I'm now reading that the bigger the optical zoom, the better, so would it pay to invest in something more expensive so with between 10x and 20x optical zoom?

Also a complete novice when it comes to memory and cards - how many gb do you recommend for a 4 day safari?

Finally, I like the sound of a lithium powered rechargable battery model, rather than lug AA batteries around. We're staying in Simba lodges - presumably I can charge the camera up overnight at the lodge or will I need a camera with AA's ?

Thanks in advance....

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

Hi

There's been a few similar questions - take a look at these posts:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k2…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g317068-i9744-k3…

Min

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

Grumps

Go for the biggest sensor you can afford. Megapixels matters much less than sensor size. And get a spare battery!

Simba lodges have power points in the rooms, but it's surprising how little you're in your room, so a sprare is essential. With 10MP, a 4gb card is about enough for a day or two. I'd get at least one more, and a third to be sure. They're only a few quid.

Richard

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

My camera takes AA's, I take plenty of rechargable batteries with me and I always carry a few packs of duracells with me just in case I don't get chance to charge up my other ones.

I picked up a fuji 8100fd for £125 off ebay, great camera and I,m very happy with it (X18 optical zoom)

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

For around £200 you should be able to get 10MP & 10x Zoom (Panasonic Lumix TZ6 at Amazon for example). I would go for something like this, you will have a far more flexible camera for the sake of £100 & your safari pictures will be much better. Once you get up to 10x zoom the MP doesn’t really matter (they will all be 10MP+ nowadays) - the difference between 8 & 12 MP is negligible for normal use.

There are dozens of choices for this type of camera and at the moment there are some good deals on the internet – and most highstreet shops (Jessops/John Lewis etc) will price match, so do your research on the internet & take a printout with you if you want a demonstration before you buy.

As for memory try and get 2 or 3 of at least 2GB each (preferably 4GB).

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
927 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

Just bought the Panasonic TZ7 which has a Lithium battery. A fabulous camera!

Bought a higher capacity spare battery as well and went slightly overboard on the memory card by buying a 16gb one! Mind you, with this camera, you can use it as a video camera as well.

For a great deal, look on www.dixons.co.uk

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

I too had a low budget but I felt I had to push the boat out a little bit to get a decent camera for safari shots. I just bought the Canon Powershot SX110 for £179 from Jessops (Standard Price reserved online minus £10 discount I found looking at voucher codes on the internet). The camera has 10 x Optical Zoom. I am no camera expert but it seems good quality so far and the zoom is impressing me - I managed to capture the number plate of a car on the road below from a 9th floor balcony.

Good luck in your camera search!

LM

Nairobi
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

Ok. Look for a professional camera like NICKOM 450D which is 10X Zoom, 20X mega pixel and . Also there are others like Sony W290, Sony W210 and also cannon which is 10.1 megapixel and 5X.

The best memory card is for 4GB.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

Good choice of camera and will serve you well on safari and for many other trips to come. Do make sure you have a spare battery and spare cards. Go for at least 2x4GB cards, I find Kingston and Sandisk are good (Kingston are cheaper, 4GB SDHC around £9) you should be able to take around 1000 photos!!!

I have an Panasonic TZ7 and an SLR camera with 300mm zoom.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

just realised I answered to a reply not to the original post. Stretch your budget as best as you can. If you can afford £300 get a low end SLR Olympus 410 or 420 or Nikon D40x. Both are v. good cameras. You will need at least a 300mm zoom.

If you can't stretch to a SLR have a look around for last years models compact or ultra-zooms. Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon are all good brands. Panasonic especially for the ultr-zoom models, for £190 you can get a TZ6 or for £150 a TZ5.

www.phtographyblog.com

www.dpreview.com

These sites have reviewed most cameras in the last few years.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a camera for Safari

The whole reason that my trip came about is that I bought a Canon EOS 450 D digital slr last year with a zoom lense so I am hoping to get great shots with this the trouble is that it has taken up all my hand luggage allowance.

Guess I will be sleeping on the plane then LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!