We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

Delhi
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Masai Mara end of October- eaerly November-2009.

Pl. let me know if this is a good time to see migration/game in Masai Mara?

We are planning to stay in camp accomodation inside the park (such as: Kicheche Mara Camp, Mara Interpid Club etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Amit

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

Generally, no, although due to changing weather patterns it's very hard to say. If you wish to come expressly for the Migration, mid-August would be your best bet.

Traditionally the Great Migration runs from early July (crossings started around 4th July both this year and last) through to late September although a couple of years ago I did see smaller crossings going on as late as 1st December.

Kicheche Mara camp is not located inside the park. It is in the Koyiaki/Lemek area of the dispersal area, about 35 minutes from Ngerende airstrip. That said, the Lemek region is a very beautiful place to stay.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

Last November, I spent one week at Mara Intrepids, and the game viewing was phenomenal. While the migration was gone, the grass was shorter, so the cats could be seen more easily. Also the cats were all healthier, so had strength to hunt, and we saw 5 different leopard, heaps of lion and many cheetah, including 3 kills.

I am planning to go again this year in November for a week.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

The migrating herds are usually gone or on their way to the Serengeti by end-October. However, I've visited end-November/early-December and found the herds still hanging around, so who knows what this year will bring.

As above though, with short grasses it's so easy to watch the lion, cheetah, leopard, hyena and jackals on the hunt.

Besides, there are wildebeest herds that never migrate, so you will find them.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
15 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

You can never be quite sure but it is possible to still see them at the end of Oct and into Nov. It is definitely worth going to the Mara anyway. It is stunning.

Cheers,

Cynthia

Delhi
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

Thanks all for your replies. Would really help me plan my trip.

cheers,

amit

6. Re: Is Oct end-early Nov good time for migration in Masai Mara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...