We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa to Masai

UK, York
6 posts
Save Topic
Mombasa to Masai

Hi, i'm staying in Mombasa, (Shanzu Beach) mid October can anyone recommend any reasonably priced tour operators who would be able to arrange a safari + flights and everything necessary for 2-3nights stay? We have a budget of £400 each for 2. Ideally I would like to be located in a good spot with decent tour guides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. Re: Mombasa to Masai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 19:05
UK, York
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombasa to Masai

Yes we would need to travel from Mombasa to the Mara and then returning to Mombasa. Had a quick look at the provided site but the safaris durations are quite long. Would quite like a company to arrange it all for me as in the midst of arranging a complicated journey to Zanzibar! thanks for the help, any other recommendations would be appreciated!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombasa to Masai

richjack

Quite difficult to do this in your budget in the short time available, as the flight alone is $400 (£250) - hence the approach by the self-promoting agent/operator. I think you'd find it difficult/impossible to get a MM overnight in October, including game drives, for less than £100 each.

Why not spend the same money, drive to Tsavo East, and splash out on a really nice place?

Richard

UK, York
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombasa to Masai

was thinking of doing the Tsavo as well as its a lot closer and therefore cheaper but i just feel like i need to go the MM to at least say ive been there. The company im travelling to kenya with are African safari club who do offer a 2 night/3 day (flights direct to the MM) stay for about £370 but i've heard some bad reviews about the Mara Buffalo Camp saying its not really even in the MM reserve. Any suggestions? or personal recommendations of this particular camp?

thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombasa to Masai

Yes, or rather no. It isn't in the reserve, but that isn't the issue really, as some of the very best camps aren't and it doesn't make much difference, if any, to game viewing (there are no fences!). It's right on the river, in a nice spot.

If you're going with ASC anyway, you're already committed I guess. I'm sure you'll have a great time, and doing MM with them is certainly cheap from your quote! Go for it. But be prepared for pretty basic conditions at the camp. They only open things up when ASC guests turn up. When I looked in early in the year, we had to bang on the gate for ten minutes before the askari unlocked the pole, and then they couldn't show me inside any tents because they said it was all locked up. . .

Anyway, bottom line is, I don't think you'll find any cheaper.

Richard

6. Re: Mombasa to Masai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 13:21