We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel

Batya
Level Contributor
6 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel

I am beginning my plan for a tout to Africa for Aug 2010 and can not make up my mind whether this time is better in Kenya or Tanzania.

It seems the parks are just on 2 sides of the border but the migration has a strong effect.

Is the answer connected to how strong is the rainy season? Is there a clear answer which side is better in August?

Is one of the countries better on the personal safety side for a tour with children?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel

The migration is in both Kenya's Masai Mara and the very northern Serengeti in Tanzania in August. With millions of animals, all don't make it into Kenya... some hold back or just don't get out of Tanzania.

But generally for August, it's usually the Mara that people for the migration . As well as the various other parks/reserves in Kenya as: Amboseli, Lakes Nakuru/Naivasha, Samburu, Tsavo, etc.

However, there are more accommodation choices in the Masai Mara at various budgets, vs very limited in the northern Serengeti.

Both are safe for travel.

2. Re: Best time to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 14:22
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...