We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Data sim card to buy in China?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Data sim card to buy in China?

I will be in China for 26 days. My usual approach is to buy a local data sim card for my IPad when overseas. Which local data sim card would you recommend to cover the breadth of China?

Will I be able to get email and pay bills via my IPad in China?

Will I be able to use Google Maps in China?

Mentioned in this post
31 replies to this topic
China
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

I would recommend rent a pocket wifi, since now buying China sim card need Chinese identity card, so I am not sure whether you can buy if your a foreigner.

You can use Google service if you are using a foreign card.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

There is no issue for a foreigner to buy a SIM card. The only real problem is the time wasted looking for a place to buy it and the language barrier. You can order it online ahead of time. Here are two options:

https:/…toProdisplayPage.dhtml

or

http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

To boost their tourism, China should imitate Japan when it comes to SIM cards. They can sell "Data Only" SIMs where passports are not required. For those wanting to make calls or texts then that's the time to ask for a passport. But the "blacklist" policy is so dumb, they should just auto-deactivate the number after a month or two of inactivity.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Of course there are data only SIMs. What blacklist policy are you talking about?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/a-report-of-the…

prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/China

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

So this is not something that you experienced yourself? I only read part of that link at it is full of bs. They did not introduce the requirement of id to buy a sim just to rip-off tourisrs. This is a requirement in most countries. In some countries like Italy, I had to show my passport even just to use wifi.

And about the blacklisting, one guy reported hearing it from someone. Clearly bs again.

My real experience is that I buy a new sim every year and let it expire and buy a new one again the next year. And there are plenty of plans for data only. And if it did bot expire then you have two sims. Nothing wrong with that.

You need better sources of information.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

I was in Shanghai this year April, bought Sim card from China Mobile for myself and my 13 yrs old son, both works fine. I did provide my passport as identification, there is no such thing you can't buy sim card in China.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

I was in Shanghai this year April, bought Sim card from China Mobile for myself and my 13 yrs old son, both works fine. I did provide my passport as identification, there is no problem buying sim card.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

Well this is why forums like this exist right? To debunk possibly inaccurate information found elsewhere.

It's just too bad that the sole reliable source of information is a condescending-sounding one.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Data sim card to buy in China?

My point is that it is better to share your experience than quote an unreliable source to contradict us on a post that is already 2 months old.

Edited: 28 October 2016, 11:27
Reply to: Which Data sim card to buy in China?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted