We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

Hi!

I am desperately trying to find Chinese food - especially Dim Sum - in HK area which is Halal (Muslim).

I have looked at two of the better sources online - the DiscoverHongKong website and the zabihah.com website....and it looks dim (without the sum).

We live in Singapore, so we are not interested in South Asian (e.g., Indian, Pakistani, etc) or Arab food - - we have plenty of such in Singapore. We would especially love to dig into authentic Chinese and Dim Sum.

Veggie places would be OK also, but I would love to have some meat. :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
868 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

go to http://www.iuhk.org/

Its the website for the Islamic union of HK. The website has a small downloadable (PDF) list of halal restaurants and the type of cuisine they serve but I can't say whether or not any serve dim sum.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

Thanks sweetlips - it is identical to the one on DiscoverHongKong. There is not much at all for Chinese and no dim sum. :(

Thanks for the try. :)

Anyone else? :)

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

Try the 5-6 floor in Islamic Centre in Wanchai, just behind the Charterhouse hotel. They have Halal Dim Sum! Enjoy!

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
19 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

I'm a big fan of dim sum and been looking for vegetarian dim sum but I can't be lucky enough t find any. The outlet by the Wanchai mosque is far below decent and it's for take away only.

Would appreciate any advice...

malaysia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

I agree with the other reply. You can go to the muslim centre in Wan Chai. It is located behind The Charterhouse. If you take the MRT, exit Causeway Bay station or Wan Chai Station. They serve authentic halal dim sum and other chinese food. The restaurant is operated by a Chinese Muslim couple. you can find the pictures of the restaurant at imancelur.blogspot.com

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

you should know that virtually all regular dim sum(other than dessert) may contain pork meat/pork fat/lard, even dishes like beef siu-mai or shrimp dumplings (har-kow), unless you can find a halal Chinese dim-sum place, which means northern dim sum, and there seems to be none.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

I've not seen much halal dim sum in HK. Most stuff here has plenty of pork in it (even the vegetable buns).

(On the other hand, I've eaten very good halal dim sum in Jakarta's Chinese restaurants!)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

Not sure why my old post got revived.

After living in HK for 6 months now, definitely the Islamic Centre in Wan Chai (as noted by posts 3, 5 above) seems like the only place for Halal dim sum.

There is some Halal Chinese food up in Kowloon City. Islam Food resturant - very popular with locals, so be prepared to eat. For tourists who want to venture into this non-touristy area - here is the website (have your browser translate) - with a map in Chinese for taxi drivers. There are two locations near each other.

http://www.islamfood.biz.com.hk/ch_p5.html

Other than that, I have not had much luck in finding Halal Chinese food in HK.

9. Re: Halal Food - especially Chinese and Dim Sum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 16:16