We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help. We'll be in Hong Kong on 30th and 31st December. I'm looking for advice on what to do for New Years Eve. We do not want to celebrate it particularly and would rather spend time enjoying traditional Hong Kong. I thought about visiting a fishing village such as Cheung Chau or Lamma, but my husband is concerned about going too far from the hotel on NYE and struggling to get home. Will this be a problem?

Any ideas for reasonably priced Chinese / Dim Sum restaurants near Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui that will not be doing special NYE menu etc. and also ideas on what to do in the evening in Kowloon if not really looking for bars and clubs and wanting to experience real Hong Kong?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,721 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

If your hotel is Hyatt Tsim Sha Tsui, then your husband's concerns are valid. Tsim Sha Tsui will be very very crowded. Not much dim sum is served in the evenings.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,642 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Hello Jenny F

Welcome to the Hong Kong forum.

>>>>concerned about going too far from the hotel on NYE and struggling to get home. Will this be a problem?<<<<

I don't believe it will be an issue getting back to TST during the main part of the day. Transportation options will remain regular. However, there will be heavier traffic coming into TST later in the evening and the waterfront area will be very crowded at night. This is worth keeping in mind.

>>>>Any ideas for reasonably priced Chinese / Dim Sum restaurants

near Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui that will not be doing special NYE menu etc.<<<<

Might be too late to make reservations but you could try Peking Garden at Star House or Springdeer. See links.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Hope this is useful.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Thanks for your advice. As it's busy, I think we will stay in TST NYE evening. These two restaurants look great. Definately fancy Peking Duck for dinner now! Hopefully can book one of these.

Does anyone know if it's worth wandering to the harbour close to midnight to see the fireworks - or do you really need to wait for hours to get any good view?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Also, does anyone know if I can contact Spring Deer via email for a booking enquiry? Peking Garden has a website, but I cannot find anything for Spring Deer. I don't want to wait until we arrive in Hong Kong to enquire.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,642 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Actually, its best to call. Businesses in Hong Kong are not always prompt in returning emails and many don't even bother, even restaurants and some hotels. For Springdeer, in particular, I would call to make reservations.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Spring Deer is an older style establishment. I highly doubt they answer emails so it's indeed best to call.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

It always makes me smile when I see posts saying thatthe OP want to avoid the crowds.

HK is a small enclave with a population of about 7.2 million. So wherever you go, it is quite likely to be crowded. If you do not care for crowds, dont visit HK, it's as simple as that

No offence meant the the OP

Edited: 17 December 2013, 15:19
HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

The OP might look at spending the evening in Sai Kung or Tai Po.

With all the crowds at the harbour front it will be a lot quieter and usually the transport system continues to run overnight for getting people home.

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

You can forget about the Spring Deer in this trip. It's fully book till CNY for dinner.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding the crowds on NYE

Thanks for all comments. We've decided to stay close to the hotel as it seems we won't avoid crowds easily, as someone mentioned. We have actually been offered a table now at both Spring Deer and Peking Garden. Whilst Spring Deer appears more well known and gets better ratings on here, thinking Peking Garden might be the better dining experience.