We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

I wanted to share this information as it has just cost me a lot of money.

The Chinese government announced on 20th July 2015 that it will not issue any tourist visas for 31st August until an unspecified date in September (not yet clear).

My travel agent was not aware and China Southern Airlines refuse to issue a refund for my flight costs so this change has cost me £900.

I hope this will stop others making the same mistake!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

Is not possible to book flights to Lhasa at the airlines' website or through chinese flight booking websites. But it's been always possible to book flights through international flight booking websites.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

IMO, it's never wise to include LXA on an international air ticket to China, things are too dicey with potential closure situations that cannot be 100% predicted. Far better to just get a "clean" international ticket to/from a major gateway city(-ies) in China, as mentioned above. Then isolate the potential problem by making LXA only a domestic segment and letting the Tibet tour agency deal with that. That way, if Tibet gets suddenly closed, you can invoke Plan B and visit elsewhere in China (Tibetan regions or otherwise) that aren't closed.

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

Well it maybe a good suggestion that for Tibet tour overseas travelers do not have to pay to confirm a tour far in advance. To confirm the tour one month in advance, local Tibet travel agencies can still fix the booking well but this is good only for the travelers who take flight to and from Lhasa, if train travel is involved, normally 70 days in advance is necessary, however train cancellation may not result to the mentioned big loss at all. Due to the uncertainty or unclear information in sensitive year or months, travelers can still plan Tibet vacation with the accurate information. Anyway do not pay fast if you are not certain whether the Tibet tour permits can be assured.

Edited: 30 July 2015, 08:25
Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

As early as February, I have warned of this closure in Spt in this thread posting #12:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294222-i6446-k807…

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
834 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

There is great hope of not closing the permit in Sept, as Tibet tourism bureau had approved the permits application for the groups who will start the tour end of Aug and finish the tour early Sept, so that shows permit still applicable for early Sept. Good News

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

Right and accurately for the tours groups with starting dates in September, the permits applications are already approved. The Tibet travel permits application this couple of days looks good so far.

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
27. Re: Don't lose money!!! Update Visa for Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2016, 12:17