We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket Information

Tibet, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
Train Ticket Information

Hi travelers

I just let you know very important information of the train tickets, be aware of buying or ordering train tickets. The new regulation, any one can help you buy the train tickets via online with your personal details or from the land, windows with a copy of your passport, after 60 days but if you cancel it, then the train stations ask bring oringal passports or you would completely lose the train ticket money. It is bitter experience if you don't know and cancel the tour or train ticket after buying,

I am posting this here because I trust it is helpful!

Woeser Phel

Edited: 02 October 2015, 18:52
China
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
1. Re: Train Ticket Information

Yes this is a new regulartion from a few months ago, cancelling the Tibet train tickets you need to bring original passport to the train station window to cancel it. Thank you Woeser for sharing this, It will be very helpful to travelers who plan to take train to and out of Tibet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
830 reviews
2. Re: Train Ticket Information

There has been of lot of abuse on this route by ticket scalpers (mostly tour agents) who would then to resell them at huge premiums. Because of it, it has always very difficult to buy tickets online.

Hopefully, while these is some downside to the cancellation aspect, this may make buying tickets easier.

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
177 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Train Ticket Information

hi jean-pierre,what do you think about ctrip.com? we where advise to purchase the train tickets from them by mail and also they delivery the tickets to our hotel in china,also they take credit cards,,i registered myself on line with them..i red very good comments about this company..doing this we save the very high commission from the tour operator..we travel to Lhasa in a low budget,and every penny count..thanks again jean-pierre,,nestor.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
830 reviews
4. Re: Train Ticket Information

In my opinion, ctrip is more geared to the locals rather than tourists.

I suspect that they don't even sell the Tibet tickets. You can try and let us know.

Edited: 04 October 2015, 04:29
Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
177 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Train Ticket Information

I call them,and I was told that the tickets go on sale only two months prior to the departure day and only I can purchase online..

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
762 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Train Ticket Information

If you decide to take train to Lhasa, please do not cancel the Qinghai Tibet train travel which is a dream trip for many people. Cancelling train ticket sometimes is really complicated

China
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
7. Re: Train Ticket Information

Yes this is a new regulartion from a few months ago, you need to bring original passport to the train station window for cancellation. So it will be difficult if travellers to cancel the train booking, the travel agent might NOT be able to get the money back if travellers are not in China. Better do not cancel, change the boarding date is a better option.

8. Re: Train Ticket Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2016, 10:53
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
830 reviews
9. Re: Train Ticket Information

"The difficulty of buying a train ticket to Lhasa, whether from Chengdu, or from Beijing, Shanghai, is not because of ticket scalpers, but because the large quantity of visitors each day and the minimal amount of train seat." - you are wrong or maybe naive. Most of the time tickets are sold out immediately. However one can still buy the tickets from agents if you are willing to pay an extra $50 to $100. May not be the case anymore though.

10. Re: Train Ticket Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2016, 10:53