We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Feedback!

Level Contributor
79 posts
44 reviews
Itinerary Feedback!

Aug 27th Flight to Denpasar

Aug 28-Sept 3rd Arrive Denpasar, Hotel transfer to nearby beach...Sanur or Uluwatu, etc. Spend some nights on Nusa Lembongan-relax & snorkel

Sept 3rd-5th Flight to Labuan Bajo, Komodo National Park- Hiking & Diving, etc.

Sept 5th-11th Ubud - Hike Batur, cooking classes, temple visits, etc.

Sept 11th-13th Yogyakarta

Sept 13th Fly to Jakarta (am) Flight home (pm)

**Questions**

1) Everyone tells me Komodo can be done in a day. We mainly want to snorkel/dive and hike. Care much less about the Dragons but we'll go see them I am sure. Do you agree with one day there?

2) Flight from JOG to Jakarta and then evening flight home...flights from JOG to Jakarta are pretty reliable?

3) Which beaches should we stay in the first 2 nights? Wanting COMPLETE relaxation and clean beaches..massages, bali beds, etc.

11 replies to this topic
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

I can see no point in flying to Flores and then taking a boat to Komodo National Park just for hiking and diving, two activities that you can do perfectly well in Bali. You could hike at Munduk on your way to snorkel/dive at Pemuteran or Menjangan Island. Alternatively hike in the hills behind Amed and dive from Amed. August is a cooler month so it will be pleasant hiking.

I would say that flights from Yogyakarta to Jakarta are reliable, but don’t cut your connection time too short -better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

I would do all your Bali stay in one block of dates rather than flying back and forth. Fly from Jakarta straight to Flores then to Yogyakarta then arrive for your Bali stay.

Alternatively, as jan j suggests above, skip Flores altogether and do your hiking / diving in Bali. Flores deserves more than a one day visit to do it justice.

I’ve never had problems re flight reliability but that’s when I’ve flown with Garuda. I think other internal airlines can be more problematic.

Level Contributor
79 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Thanks for the info!

Mainly the reason for Komodo was the amazing diving we’d heard about. We wanted to do Raja Ampat, but seemed challenging...needed more time. This seemed like better diving than Bali. What are your thoughts?

Level Contributor
79 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Baileybum- seriously I don’t know why that hadnt occurred to me. That would save an extra flight! Thanks for the insight!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Rachel, how do you intend to dive safely? You should not fly for 24 hours after diving.....so your timing 3rd-5th is not really allowing time for diving at all.

Level Contributor
79 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Well we found an early flight the am of the 3rd, so hoping to dive later that day, then maybe also the morning of the 4th, and fly out the 5th afternoon. We also could stay another night in the area-I just based my itinerary off what many other forums and guides suggested for the area. We’ve got lots of flex time built in. Either way, by the time we fly, should be 24 hours but most recommendations are 12-18 hours. Have you spent time in Komodo? Do you think there’s enough there to warrant more time?

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Rachel, yes, most do recommend that 18 hours for non decompression non repetitive dives "should" be OK. I'd never risk it although many do. I've seen a few bends in my nearly 39 years diving including a friend who bent his elbow by merely driving home from a dive trip over a not very high mountain range. His dive the day before was max depth 10 meters.

Sorry, I haven't dived or visited Komodo. We prefer to lots of diving - at least a month in Bali twice a year. Been doing that for many years, and like others who are regulars to Tulamben, we know just how good it can be, especially for muck divers. We are off again next week for 6 weeks.

Hope you have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

I reckon if you’re going to dive Komodo, you do it well unless you think you’ll return in the future. You might be best to explore on a liveaboard tour.

https://www.girlsthatscuba.com/komodo-diving/

Definitely factor in 24 hours before flying - you’re a long way from help if you fly earlier and complications set in.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Diving in Komodo is really beautiful.I highly recommend it. It might be difficult to find tour operator to take you diving 3rd unless you arrive very early because most of the boats head to Komodo national park area in the morning and come back around four or five pm. I recommend to stay longer in the area so you can spent full day diving in Komodo. For the dragons and islands one day tour is enough .

Level Contributor
79 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary Feedback!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We extended our time in Labuan Bajo to 4 nights. Dive the first and possibly second full day and then last day relax and such. We are hoping to find a Liveaboard once we arrive for the 1 or 2 nights in the middle of our time there. Online, in september it seems most boats want to do a minimum 3 nights. Plus we’d like to see the boats before going so we’re waiting until we get there (although my anxious self is not happy about that). For those that have been there, did you book upon arrival to Labuan Bajo?

Reply to: Itinerary Feedback!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted