We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

My hairdresser today said I would get a shock going back to Bali after 2 years absence, as it over flowing with "Yobbo Aussies" .

I would hate to be called judgemental, but I get anxious and uncomfortable around loud, obnoxious people, and also highly embarrased.

It's not that bad, is it???

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

If you were in Bali only 2 years you shouldn't notice much difference in general behavior of fellow Aussies. Maybe a slight increase in yobboism around football finals time and schoolies.

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

I'm dodging both footy finals & schoolies, and not staying in Kuta, so hopefully she was just exaggerating!!!

George Town...
Level Contributor
418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

I find it really amazing that whenever you say you are going to Bali, people find negative things to say about it. My first response is "Have you ever been there?" and my second is " I know there are places that are unsavoury, and i choose not to go there>"

Have a wonderful time. Bali is awesome.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

They are around...but easy to avoid! We stayed in Seminyak(in September) - no yobbos Visited Sanur and Ubud - no yobos. It was really only Kuta - and to be honest there were plenty of visitors from other countries 'doing their bit' for the Yobbo cause :)

We just made sure we stayed out of Kuta after 5.00pm and had a fantastic time.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

The yobbos mainly go to Kuta, because they get cheap package deals for a week or so.

The first time i went to Bali i stayed at the Bounty, the kids were in the pool drinking till 5am, yelling and carrying on, but when you knock on their door at 8am and tell them that breakfast will be finished in an hour and you better hurry so you don't miss it, you get abused!!.

So i told them you keep me awake till 5, i,ll keep waking you at 8!!

It took 2 more nights, but after banging on their door and making sure they couldn't go back to sleep, they gave up!!

Stonie

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

Haha nice one Stonie!!

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

It's not that we haven't been to Bali before, this will be our 29 th trip!!!

It's just that we haven't been for 2 years, and in her words"You will get a shock when you get there".....I can't believe it would change that much!

Thanks guys!!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

Don't worry. We have been to Bali many times in a period of over 20 years and we hardly see any of these yobbo's. IMO there are many Bali's and each Bali has its own type of visitors. It's the same as in Spain or in Mexico. There are people who only come to drink and sit in the sun and get away from their daily life and there are people who enjoy the Balinese culture and nature. The main difference I have noticed over the years is the huge increase of traffic.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
17,875 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

I think Bali is certainly a lot busier than it was a couple of years ago, but not necessarily with a yobbo of Aussies. As with anywhere, it depends on where you choose to stay, both in terms of hotel and resort, and also where you choose to frequent for meals and drinks etc. I wouldn't let this worry you too much.

Your new hairdo looks fabulous.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please tell me it's not that bad in Bali.....

The problems are generally seasonal and regionalised as hinted above.

There are plenty of areas in Bali that remain relatively unscathed.

Nearby Lombok is generally reasonably immune from the worst of it as well.

Fortunately most of the perpetrators are possibly not good with maps and travel arrangements and they perhaps have difficulty working out how to leave the areas of customary attentions.