We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Hi,

We would like advice on accommodation, food, shopping - well everything that you guys can think of would be greatly appreciated.

We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child (5years) travelling next May 2014 (I know a wee while away) with accommodation budget of 200-300 per night. We are there for 12 nights. I thought maybe we could spend 7 nights in the main area? Close to tourist attractions and shopping, and then the remaining days somewhere to relax?? I am struggling on finding areas where to stay that accommodates all of the above plus be family friendly. Im not too keen on the hotel stays, I would like to have at least a sitting room wherever we would stay? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Perth
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Hi Tinimare,

Just returned from our first kids trip (3 and 7 y/o) and already booked the next..

Stayed in a villa in seminyak last trip.. This time 6 in Seminyak 4 in sanur.. Sanur we booked Dream Haven Villa and the owner has been great.

Last trip waterbom was a massive hit Bali Safari they got bored with until they found the water park.

Spent a bit more than usual on food and no one got sick.

Shop early swim all arvo..

Balinese loved the kids and were awesome with them..

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Adelaide
Level Contributor
153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

We stayed at Casa Padma in legian last year. We had a suite which was massive. 2 queen beds, lounge area etc. close to fixed price shops, 5-10 min taxi ride to Kuta and 5-10 min walk to the beach. Quiet pool area and decent restaurant. Oh yeah...we had a 7 yr old with us and he loved it. So did we for that matter.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites
327 Reviews
Legian, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Thanks for your help and advice, really appreciate it.

I see that Sanur has been the most recommended for families

Is Sanur, Seminyak, Legian and Kuta close to each other?

Any thoughts on Nusa Dua and Benoa??

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Adelaide
Level Contributor
153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Seminyak, Legian and Kuta are close to each other. The others are further out from Kuta. It all depends on how much or little you want to do.

Kuta is more of the party place, while Legian and Seminyak seem to cater more to families and the non party people. Having said that you"ll still find bars/pubs etc in those areas.

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

This will be the first time we stay at Sanur but I believe it is about 30 min from Kuta?

We chose it as it is suppose to be good for families and more laid back..

If you google 2 bedroom villa legion or seminyak you will find a million.. Best bet is to then check trip advisor reviews and search the forums for details of any past scams or bad experiences.. The wonderful folk here are very helpful..

I would suggest maybe staying out of Kuta.. $200 - $300 a night will get you some decent accommodation

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Thanks guys, yes when you google bali accommodation there is so many to choose from!

I will keep looking and post if I have any queries once I have found a few places

@packedalready2go - let me know how Sanur goes for you guys..

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Hello :)

Im in bali at the moment and its my second time with my 18 year old , 12 year old and 6 year old. Were staying at the sanur paradise plaza suites . The hotel has a great pool and waterslide. Our room has 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms lounge room and kitchen. Give it a look its very good service and great security!!

My advice to you would be when you go to the shops or the markets , do not give out your real name or hotel you are staying at (because they do ask !!) . They will say your there friend and come annoy you ( as ive been told by my friend that lives here.)

And bargain at the markets they will try rip you off. Most things arent more than 30, 000 ( $3) or 50, 000 ( $5) rupiah. Most something will cost would be 100, 000 ( 10 bucks ) so dont give in to them and say no.

And dont hire a car on these roads !

But enjoy your stay :)

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Hello :)

Im in bali at the moment and its my second time with my 18 year old , 12 year old and 6 year old. Were staying at the sanur paradise plaza suites . The hotel has a great pool and waterslide. Our room has 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms lounge room and kitchen. Give it a look its very good service and great security!!

My advice to you would be when you go to the shops or the markets , do not give out your real name or hotel you are staying at (because they do ask !!) . They will say your there friend and come annoy you ( as ive been told by my friend that lives here.)

And bargain at the markets they will try rip you off. Most things arent more than 30, 000 ( $3) or 50, 000 ( $5) rupiah. Most something will cost would be 100, 000 ( 10 bucks ) so dont give in to them and say no.

And dont hire a car on these roads !

But enjoy your stay :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,029 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

Sanur is ideal for families, much less traffic, tourists, touts etc than kuta / legian and seminyak which are basically all along the same beach and connected by the same main roads. Sanur is on the opposite side of the island with a calm beach much better suited to young children, you can also do water sports here and ride bikes. With your budget I suggest you look at beach front properties. Paradise plaza suites which has been mentioned is not in a good location, I have stayed there and don't return due to the fact it is on the main bypass busy road and is not surrounded by nice shops and restaurants..... yes there is a shuttle bus and access via a back gate to walk to the shops, beach and restaurants but not ideal in the hot sun, there are so many other places to choose from with ideal locations.

I would also suggest you look at Ubud for a few nights.

Sanur is a great base as you are close to all you want.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
10. Re: Advice for 1st time family holiday to BALI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 12:17