We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Hi there,

We are first time travellers to Bali. We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child age 5 and have booked flights for next year in May for 12 days. We are wanting to do the main touristy things, shopping, relax and just enjoy having a holiday......... whilst enjoying time at our accommodation. I have been researching and comparing accommodation in regards to price range, facilities and location. So far I have found the Grand Mirage to be suitable and Patra which has been recommended to us by 3 different friends.

Grand Mirage Likes: reasonable prices for typre of room-ocean suite, facilities, relaxing (please note I am basing these all on the look)

Grand Mirage Dislikes: Im not comfortable about the 2 different options they have available - All inclusive and NOT. I personally do not want to pay the extra to have food, drinks and a couple more little extras all included. I know that we wont be eating all our meals there every day. ie: when we are out shopping etc...... Will we get treated differently because we did not buy all inclusive. I have read on some resort reviews that all inclusive customers get first choice to sunbeds, cabanas and all that!!! Is location an issue, would I be spending heaps of money on taxis????

Patra Likes: Facilities, I hear the food is really good, location

Patra Dislkes: Rooms compared to Grand Mirage don't look as good. (again this is basing my opinions on photos both professional and by other tourist)

Apologies for the long post, but I just want our first experience to be AWESOME..... I know it will be hard being first timers but at the same time accommodation can make or break a holiday

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
The Grand Bali Nusa Dua
The Grand Bali Nusa Dua
377 Reviews
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas
The Patra Bali Resort...
955 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Also, I have emailed both of the above places for more info on inclusions and what would be extra, while they both advertise that they would reply within 24 hours....It has been 4 days for both and still nothing. Would love to hear other peoples experiences and then I guess I can make a decision from there

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Firstly I would decide where you want to stay as in which location, then source a hotel.

Tangjung Benoa is a great peaceful little area - with everything you need BUT it does not have the full on 24 x 7 of Kuta.

TB has great little shops, a few little markets, great cafes and a supermarket opposite the Hotel, however it is 10k from Kuta - so if you want to spend a lot of time in Kuta - Seminyak area - you could be better staying there.

The new toll rd opens this month, so we are not sure how this will impact of traffic - hopefully it will make a big difference - but at the moment you would be spending up to 300 000 rp for a return trip to Kuta and up to 3 hours in the traffic (return).

I would NOT go with the inclusive option - I would go with a breakfast option - but lots of choice of places to eat up and down the street.

I have not heard of any issues with non inclusive guests being treated any different

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Thank you for your help. I didn't think it was that far and time consuming. Think we might stay in Kuta - Seminyak then maybe spend the last couple of days in Benoa? Lots to think about.......

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
melbourne
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Hi, we've never been to Bali, so take this with a grain of salt! We are staying the first half of our stay in Kuta so we can do shopping, Waterbom, surf lessons etc. Then we're moving to Novotel Benoa for the second half, so we can have the relaxing, beach, watersports type holiday. Hope this will work for us. It might be an option for you.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Novotel Bali Benoa
Novotel Bali Benoa
3,171 Reviews
Tanjung Benoa, Indonesia
sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

The Tangjung Benoa and Nusa Dua areas are best (in my opinion) when you just stay there and venture out locally. If you want to do day trips to Ubud or Kintimani or along the coasts - Sanur or the Kuta Seminyak areas are closer and better suited for you logistically.

We find that we can go to TB and stay there and never leave, between TB and Nusa Dua we do all we want- plenty of good shopping, tailors, shoemakers, and lots of places to eat and drink at.

So splitting your time might work well for you

Mentioned in this post
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

Hi having been to Bali several times with 2 kids now 9 and 11, wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but the Patra in a Deluxe Suite. Fantastic breakfast, great pool and nice beach on doorstep, free activities/games on beach and in pool with fantastic pool staff, kids club ,Nice walk along boardwalk to family friendly restaurants, fantastic massages at Green Gardens spa, easy walk into Town, Waterbom etc.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas
The Patra Bali Resort...
955 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Waterbom Bali
Waterbom Bali
11,666 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
7. Re: Grand Mirage Resort or Patra Resort HELP!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 13:19