We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Hi!

My friend & I are planning a trip to Indonesia in July 2013. We will be arriving on a sunday nite in Jakarta. Take the nite train or bus to Yogyakarta & tour the place on Monday & Borobudur on Tues. We plan to be in Bali by Tues nite until Thurs nite. Then Fly back to Jakarta on Friday AM so we can have a tour there. our flight is on Saturday at 1am.

(1) Which is better way to go to Yogyakarta, by train or bus? How much would it be? Any suggestion?

(2) Would it be more better to stay in Borobudur or Yogyakarta?

(3) Is there a motor we could rent to tour Borobudur? How much?

(4) From Yogyakarta to Bali, what should we take, bus or train + ferry or plane?

Your comments & suggestions are highly appreciated! :-)

Bogor
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Hi...

(1) Which is better way to go to Yogyakarta, by train or bus? How much would it be? Any suggestion?

I think it is easier to take a train than a bus. You can take an airport bus (DAMRI) to Gambir train station. The latest train to Jogja departs at 08:45 pm and it will cost around IDR250,000-350,000 (executive class). Meanwhile, most of the bus from Jkt to Jog will depart before 06.00 pm (the latest one departs at 8 pm) and will cost around IDR200,000 (executive class). Nevertheless, since you mention that you'll be in Jakarta in July, I doubt that it will be easy to go to Jogja especially if you arrive in the end of July (since it will be Ramadhan time). So I think you better travel early July.

(2) Would it be more better to stay in Borobudur or Yogyakarta?

I suggest you go straight to Borobudur on Monday and stay in Jogja for the night, travel around the city on Tue, and fly to Bali on Tue night. Otherwise, you can tour Jogja city (with all your luggage) on Monday, go to Borobudur area to stay, and tour the temple on Tue, back to Jogja and fly to Bali (sounds more tiring).

(3) Is there a motor we could rent to tour Borobudur? How much?

There is a service called taxi motor in Jogja (you can google it). Ask them how much they offer to take you to Borobudur. Compare it with car rental. FYI, you can rent a car (with driver and fuel included) for 12 hours with IDR200,000-300,000 (find it in yogyes.com)

(4) From Yogyakarta to Bali, what should we take, bus or train + ferry or plane?

Taking a bus will 'cost' you around 24 hours on the road which is a waste of time. So I think plane is more feasible.

Hope this help..

Edited: 02 February 2013, 00:09
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Wow! Thanks a lot for the tip. My friend anf I will be there on the 6th of july. But i think on a much late flight. I think we will arrive arnd 10pm. Guess we might just stay a nite in jakarta.

Thanks!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,371 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

It seems that you are thinking of doing a 5 day trip to Indonesia, and seeing 3 different places? IMHO you leave very little room to actually see much, and you will spend most of your time in busses or trains. If you absolutly have to fly into and out of Jakarta do try to make your air connections so that you don't have to spend hours getting into Jakarta city and out again. For example, fly into Jakarta, take flight directly to Bali, take flight from Bali to Jogja, then flight to Jakarta a few hours ahead of your flight out.

For example, A flight from Jakarta to Bali is only 2 hours, but a bus or train trip will take you almost 2 days and you will arrive exhausted. Most people spend at least a week just in Bali and don't get to see much.

Do try to plan a longer trip or limit your trip to just 2 locations.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

<<Do try to plan a longer trip or limit your trip to just 2 locations.>>

Second to that.. I would even recommend you to visit only 1 location and definitely skip Jakarta unless you have lots of time.. I would only recommend two locations only if you can fly direct to Bali and Yogyakarta instead of passing through Jakarta..

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Thanks ubudpuppy & stefz.

I guess you are right. We want to visit a temple in borobudur before heading to Bali. We only have those days for a short vacay. And since our flight arrives late in Jakarta, we are thinking to spend it on train. Also because there are no late flight in airasia. :-(

this is much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

This is a great help for our planning. :-)

Cagayan de Oro...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Hi,

May I know how your trip went? We are exactly in the same situation as yours, only having 5days to spend. Were you able to visit all three places

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

Hi Jessa V, since OP had this query few months back, it's best to reach OP through PM (private message) rather than opening up the thread again...

8. Re: Indonesia: Borobudor, Bali & Jakarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 12:16