We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

I am looking to travel to an Amazon Lodge in October 2018. It will just be my boyfriend and I. We are in our 40's and would like a great experience for 4 or 5 nights. I am looking at La Selva, Sacha or Napo Wildlife Center. They all look like great resorts with many activities. Does anyone have any information on which would provide the best experience? We also plan to spend 3 nights in Quito before heading to the lodge and 1 or 2 nights in Quito when we return from the lodge. Any suggestions for a place to stay in Quito so that we can walk to local restaurants and shops would also be great!

18 replies to this topic
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

Not to add to further confusion, but we looked at these three and ultimately chose the Sani Lodge for a number of reasons. We don't go until June though.

My hunch is that you cannot go wrong. . .

Bill

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

It's highly doubtful that anyone knows two, much less all three of them. But they are all highly regarded and it's unlikely you could go wrong picking one. I've personally been to La Selva, and my high-maintenance sister has been to Sacha, and we both enjoyed our stays. I think I would just read the more negative reviews of each and see if there's anything that would be a deal breaker for me (whining by spoiled or entitled people doesn't count).

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

"(whining by spoiled or entitled people doesn't count)"

Other than fake reviews, a large percentage of 1 star postings likely fall into the above category. :)

B

New York City
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
204 reviews
4. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

We chose Sacha because it seemed that the others wanted a supplement to tailor activities, sacha Didnt. Also, sacha has two tower experiences.

Our sacha guide has worked at both sacha and la selva and told us they're really very similar, activity-wise.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm sure I would enjoy any of these places. Personally, I would be fine in a tent but my boyfriend is not a very good traveler. The inability to sleep anywhere other than his own bed, headaches and food allergies make it difficult to stay in more remote places. He is a good sport about it and happily goes wherever I want to travel. I think one of these luxury lodges would be a good way for us to both enjoy the rain forest.

I have been reading all of the reviews and there are so few negative ones that it makes it even more difficult to decide. Knowing I will probably only be in this area once I want to make sure I do it right!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

We're looking at the same lodges as well - curious to know which you ended up choosing?

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
855 posts
292 reviews
7. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

We stayed at Sacha but talked to a number of people who stayed elsewhere. We got the impression that there is not much difference in quality. Wildlife is pretty much the same (naturally, because the lodges are in the same area). We chose Sacha because of the swimming cage (refreshing and cleansing in the jungle) and because of the canopy bridge and did not regret. Read my recent review of Sacha Lodge

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

I ended up choosing La Selva. I booked directly through them with Verónica Darquea sales@laselvajunglelodge.com. They are running a promotion of 1 free night in Quito when booked through them. She was very helpful and arranged our hotels for the entire stay. Here is our itinerary (prices are per person):

October 5th thru 8th - 3 Nights at Patio Andaluz US$283.50

Local Flight - Quito – Coca – Quito US$220

OCT 8 TRANSFER TO AIRPORT FREE

October 8th thru 11th - 3 nights at La Selva US$1215

October 11th thru 13th - 2 Nights at Polo Club airport boutique hotel (1 NIGHT FREE) 1 NIGHT US$78.50

We plan to explore Quito for the first three days before leaving for La Selva. Patio Andaluz looks like a good location for being able to walk to several places. Still trying to figure out if we will have time to visit Cotopaxi while we are there. After La Selva we opted for the Polo Club as it is close to the airport and we have an early morning flight on the 13th.

Since we are not going until October I can't tell you if it is the right choice, but I am very excited. Like others have mentioned I think they will all be very similar and a great experience.

Best of luck in your research.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
204 reviews
9. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time! Our neighbors went to La Selva and adored it!!

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha

We are going to Napo in a few weeks - I will let you know our thoughts when we get back

Reply to: Amazon Lodge - Napo, La Selva or Sacha
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted