We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Ecuador

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
moving to Ecuador

Hi,

I was hoping some one could give me some advise,I will be moving to Ecuador at the end of the year.I am married to an Ecuadorean and have been for over 2 years now.I was just wondering what I have to do,e.g visa, what documents i need and just general like that.

We will be moving there for good and plan on starting our own restaurant/butcher shop .My wife is a chef and I am a butcher.My skill as a butcher will be most useful because butchery in Ecuador is not the best and i'm hoping to change that.

Any help from anybody would be most grateful

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,229 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: moving to Ecuador

Nice that you are starting a new life with your wife.

But truly, this is most likely not the best venue for your questions. Getting the wrong advice about your legal status in a country and how to go about things can be devastating and costly.

Before you sell up in London, you should visit the Ecuador embassy to ask these questions. You want to do it legally or you will find yourself ousted from the country and persona non grata. You also need to research how to own a business there if you are not a citizen. It could cost considersbly more than if in your wife's name.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: moving to Ecuador

Go to ecuadorexpats.com - there was a post there today about someone in your same situation, and good advice on how to go about it. Be aware that laws and rules change daily, sometimes hourly, so be prepared for a certain amount of frustration. However, in the end it'll all work out, and in my opinion will be worth all the frustration!

Where are you planning to set up shop? You're so right about our butchers here - they generally take a let's close our eyes and hope for the best approach to butchering, and a good American butcher will be welcomed with open arms (selfishly, I'm hoping it'll be Quito!).

Good luck, and let me know by PM when and where you're settled.

3. Re: moving to Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 13:18