We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lazy Snorkeler

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Lazy Snorkeler

When snorkeling in the Galapagos, will I miss much if all I do is laze around, floating at the surface with my face in the water? Do you need to go down 10 or 15 feet or more to see what's there? What will I miss if I don't go down? How clear is the water?

Thanks,

Spirit in Neptune Beach

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lazy Snorkeler

I Spirit, I can only speak for when I went in October and sailed the NW route. I only bobbed too! You don't need to dive down at all as generally visibility is good and most spots quite shallow. Occasionally guide would dive down and point something out but otherwise the majority of us just remained on surface. It's up you but heaps can be seen at surface. The only issue would be if you need prescription lens to see distance. We had someone snorkel wearing their contact lens

Edited: 01 April 2018, 12:17
Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lazy Snorkeler

We never had to dive under water except one time the guide said if you go down 6 feet there are sharks under a ledge. The water is not as clear as the Caribbean and we did swim around to explore the areas. Once or twice we got in the water at one place and out a short distance away so there was sometimes a little swimming effort, not diving effort though

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lazy Snorkeler

You have a good viewing opportunities on the surface, but in my experience being able/wiling to free dive as little as 10-20 feet gave you superior views.

As examples? Being able to hang right next to a marine Iguana feeding on seaweed, or glide next to a giant manta rather than looking down at them from higher above.

Visibility varied greatly on our 10 dives. Some of the clearest gave us 50-75 foot visibility, while the murkiest only gave 10-15. On the murky days, being able to dive down was a solid advantage. Got to see hammerhead sharks upclose and clearly rather than as shadows.

In either case, the snorkeling is excellent. Enjoy!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lazy Snorkeler

Yeah, you can see lots of things easilt just floating facedown on the surface. But it is worthwhile to learn the basic technique to dive a little under the surface and blow the saltwater out the top of your snorkel when you go back up at times.

Reply to: Lazy Snorkeler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted