We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

malaysia
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Am thinking of joining i-to-i volunteering for 2 weeks conservation holiday in Galapagos Islands. Just wanted some feedback on the holiday experience and whether it is indeed helping the community in the region.

Thanks.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

I am not sure if you can do enough good in 2 weeks to counteract burning all that aviation fuel over the islands.

It seems from their website that you are spending a large amount of money that is not going to the community or the national park.

If you go direct to the national park to volunteer they would only be interested in 3 month periods - and there is no cost involved except your accommodation and food.

Maybe if you want to see the islands you could consider a short holiday and make a donation to the national park for conservation.

If you want, you could check with the national park if they would find you volunteering with this organisation for 2 weeks worthwhile.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Dear Lisa,

you might want to consider contacting the Darwin Station, indicating that you would be keen on making a donation of the equivalent amount of money, in exchange for 2 weeks of volunteering. No 2 week volunteership can consist of really meaningful work - it has to be something requiring no training, unless you already have high level, easily applied skills (computers, accounting, art?). Perhaps you can offer to write English language text? So many local organizations put out english language text with terrible syntax and horrendous grammar....

Good luck - and thanks for your volunteering spirit!

Heather Blenkiron

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
64 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Hi, I don't agree the comments above since I have approached myself the Darwin Station and it is not easy to work with them even going directly to them and talking in person I have recommended the Jatun Sacha foundation for volunteering purposes and the people that went there were extremely happy with the experience, google them and talk to them.

Best Regards.

JV.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

What type of volunteer work are you looking to do? Many of the local daycares and schools are willing to accept short term teachers with certain specialties (besides English language). An English music class for kids? Origami? There are certainly plenty of schools in need of assistance if you are looking to participate in the field of Education.

Good luck

malaysia
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to help with conservation work, like tree replanting and learned about the challenges faced by the islands. I have been recommended to join the program arranged by Lead Adventures, a Ecuador-based travel agency. So far their reviews have been favourable. Agreed that 2 weeks are short but that's the only time off i can get from work so will try to do the best i can.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
6. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Lisatgg,

I am also considering Lead Adventures for a Volunteering Holiday in May. How are you finding your experience with them so far? Any input would be a great help! Thanks.

malaysia
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Hi Alice, our trip will be end-Mar2012 so will let u know after that.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

I know the people at Lead and can vouch for their program. Message me if you want more details.

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Did you take your trip with Lead Adventures and how was it. Would you do it again. I signed up to do a 3 week volunteer in Sept but I not sure if I want go with them.

Thanks Carol

malaysia
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Volunteering holiday in Galapagos Islands

Hi Carol, yes I took the 2 week program which covers only 2 islands, Santa Cruz and Isabella. The volunteering part covered only 3 days out of the 2 weeks in santa cruz while the rest of the time is sight seeing. But we had an awesome time. 3 days out in the ranch, helpg with the farming etc is fun too & we met some pretty amazg people there and facilities offered are great.

If u do the 3 week, then u'll probably hav an additional 5 day volunteering at San Cristobal which I understand is not as nice as the facility in santa cruz. As for Lead, we find them responsive and they do take care of everytg for us. My friend's luggage was delayed by 2 days but Elizabeth from Lead took care of everyth. Overall very awesome and memorable trip by Lead. Hope that helps.