We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Iquitos safe?

Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Iquitos safe?

Hey guys,

Planning a trip at the end of the year and we are thinking of staying in San Pedro lodge ( about 10km's out from iquitos). Safe traveler says to stay clear from the Colombian border, so just wondering if it's generally safe to travel there or if it's worth looking somewhere else? There's just 2 of us, both 21. Mums freaking out on me so I need some evidence to convince her!

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Lodge
San Pedro Lodge
150 Reviews
San Pedro, Peru
Palmdale, California
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

Thinking of going in August. Do I need to book a motel/hotel in advance, or can I get a room when I land?

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

I recently went on a medical mission trip to Iquitos. there was not a second where I did not feel unsafe. I was with a group on my first trip but I would not hesitate to travel there alone. Most of the people are very friendly and speak some English.. as in any city you should always be aware of your surroundings but as far as safety is concerned I feel it is a very safe city.

If you are planning a trip to the jungle I would recommend using a tour guide. I took a tour of the Jungle and had an amazing time. I personally recommend Kukama trails for any tours in the amazon. I know the tour guides very well and they are simply wonderful!!

and to 330Gary: I also have many tattoos and I only had 1 person comment on them and he said they were pretty.. from my experience if the people their do not your tatoos they will simply not say anything about them.

I hope anyone who travels to this amazing city has a wonderful time! It is truly an amazing place to visit.

Edited: 29 April 2015, 23:39
Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Cork, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

Hi there!

I am thinking of travelling to Iquitos in the coming weeks..I am just wondering if you need to book hostels etc. in advance or can you walk in off the street?

Thanks, I appreciate your help :)

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Cork, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

Hi there!

I am planning on travelling to Iquitos in the coming weeks. Would you recommend booking accomodation etc in advance or can you walk in off the sstreet?? I have very limited Spanish so Im worried that might hold me back..

Thanks, I appreciate your advise :-)

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Norway
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

Is it safe to walk around after sunset? Are some places more safe than others?

16. Re: Is Iquitos safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2017, 12:16