We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Both lodges have gotten excellent reviews, and I am really unsure of which to pick. My dad (early 60s) and I (early 30s) will be doing a 4d/3n trip in mid-June of this year. My dad is very interested in seeing big trees in primary rainforest, and I am most interested in seeing a variety of wildlife. Would both lodges provide that experience?

los angeles
Level Contributor
976 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

esp05,

Looking at Tahuayo's 4 days /3 nights schedule, looks like you are going to stay one night in Iquitos ?

Does that mean you are going to stay only 2 nights at the lodge? Am not very clear on this.

My wife and I recently stayed at Muyuna ( I did the latest review ). We were picked up from Iquitos airport to their office for briefing then took 3 hour up-river (going south) to the lodge the same morning. That means we stayed full 3 nights at the lodge.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Yes, we'd spend the first night in Iquitos, then three additional nights at a lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
los angeles
Level Contributor
976 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Oh O.K.

Looking at Tahuayo's site, A) they have zip-line & B) they have free laundry svc. Muyuna does not have these.

My wife and I were extremely happy with Muyuna tho. Our guide was excellent & workers at the lodge are from nearby village which is I think is a very good idea.

Am sure Tahuayo is very good too. Both lodges are south of Iquitos. The north are pretty much exploited I heard.

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

I'm going to Muyuna this Thursday. After months of researching, I chose this for numerous reasons but have not read 1 bad review.

los angeles
Level Contributor
976 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

karsnow,

1) Gopro camera is awesome for this trip. 2) There are 3 meals a day so I suggest bring your fav snack just in case. 3) Don't forget to bring headlamp / flashlight for both of you. 4) Binocular is also nice to have. 5) Camera of course.

Enjoy !

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Just got back and Muyuna was amazing in everything they offered. I did not have a Gopro, although I wish I did, but good cameras. It was a sweet place to stay and the food, guides were excellent. Highly recommend. Thanks for your input.

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Just got back and Muyuna was amazing in everything they offered. I did not have a Gopro, although I wish I did, but good cameras. It was a sweet place to stay and the food, guides were excellent. Highly recommend. Thanks for your input.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Thanks for your update, karsnow. I booked Muyuna, so I am glad to hear this. How much wildlife did you see?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

We just got back from Muyuna and loved it--great experience! I am going to post a review, too.

Norway
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torn between Muyuna and Tahuayo lodges.

Thanks for the update guys, can't wait to go there in a month or so! Did you ask for a private guide? We are unsure whether or not to do that.