We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Peru - reliable?

Torrance, California
Level Contributor
100 posts
1,623 reviews
Star Peru - reliable?

Hi, all

I will travel to Iquitos very soon.

I discovered that the roundtrip airfare to Iquitos is pretty damn expensive.

Especially I need to arrive/depart at designated time so that makes me pay more, about 300 USD.

I did some search on Skyscanner and found a cheaper option that is operated by Star Peru.

However, I could not find it on major airplane booking third party websites like Expedia or Justfly.

So is it a bad idea to use Star Peru?

Or is it just as reliable as other major airlines, Lan or Avianca?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

I don't think it is a bad idea to use Star Peru. We used LC Peru for Cajamarca to Lima and Lima to Cusco. I think with the major airlines you have less chance of delays or cancellations. Our flights with LC Peru were perfectly fine although our flight to Cusco was delayed by 90 minutes (technical problems). We talked to people who used Star Peru and who had no problems either. It has been discussed on this forum so just do a search.

Iquitos Amazon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

StarPeru is a very dependable airline not only for Iqutos but in all of Peru. They are one of Peru low-cost airlines, offering multiple daily flights to Iquitos from Lima.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
3. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

Of course it is NOT as reliable as LAN or Avianca. You get what you pay for. When using any budget carrier, one should expect delays and hiccups. And thank one's lucky stars when everything goes smoothly.

The reason you don't see them on Expedia is probably because they don't want to pay commission to the 3rd party website. They are trying to keep costs down.

Here's the discussion about the various carriers. I put it in the Top Questions because it is so frequently asked.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29431…

Edited: 16 June 2016, 11:58
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
4. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

I have to disagree with Gigi's mum, I have flown all of the airlines and have found them all equally reliable, we have had delays on all the carriers just as we have had thing go perfect with all of them. the only area where LAN and Avianca really have an advantage is with flights in, out or through Cusco and this is because they have a lot more flights than the smaller carriers.

One of the ways that Star Peru, Peruvian Airlines ans LC Peru all keep their priced down is by not participation in some of these OTA's like Booking.com or Expedia, being listed on these sites costs money and while I don't know what airlines pay, accommodations pay at least 16% to be listed on them.

Personally when we book flights, we always book with whoever is cheapest and in 4 years and over 30 flights, we have never had any major problems.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
295 reviews
5. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

But gringowasi, since I started reading the peru forum, I have read of this and other budget airlines cancelling flights, delaying flights and not informing the passenger.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g26566… post no. 3, 8. Admittedly this link is about LC Peru.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
6. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

I can only report my experience, but if you think about it, generally the only people to post are those that had problems, if everyone that had a good flight posted as well the negative posts would likely get burred.

I would never say that problems don't happen, but in 4 years of picking up guests at the airport and flying between Cusco and Lima myself, I can tell you that all of the airlines have problems, but they are actually not that common and flights into, out of or through Cusco tend to have the most issues as the Cusco airport is a VFR airport and it only takes low clouds to shut it down.

As for customer service, you can get the same lack of or even miss-information from all of the airlines. As I mentioned, personally we always use whoever is cheapest at the time, but if you are uncomfortable with any of the cheaper airlines, then just go with LAN or Avianca, you need to be comfortable with your decision not me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
295 reviews
7. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

Thanks Gringo. It is the just cost factor, especially with the " foreigner fee " tacked on by LAN. Guess I'll have to decide on that when the time comes.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
8. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

No problem, we always plan for delays, like not flying into Lima the same day we are flying out, this way you have a bit of a buffer.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
98 reviews
9. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

If you use Star Peru, check your email. They changed my flights two days before my trip while I was in transit.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
10. Re: Star Peru - reliable?

They will all do that, even LAN so it is a good idea to make sure they have a good e-mail address and to check it. Generally if flights are not full enough they will cancel one, or more, and shift people to other flights.