We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

I will be arriving by bus from Ica alone at 8 or 9 at night… Hopefully earlier but eight or nine at the latest. I am a solo female traveler and am worried about getting a taxi from the bus station back to the airport. What is the safest option for me? I am most concerned with safety, not cost.

Mentioned in this post
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
6 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

You could pre-book a taxi from Taxidatum. Search this forum to read many positive posts about this company, written by me and scores of other TA members.

My female cousin lived in Lima for 3 weeks last year. She did not speak much English and I couldn't stay with her for the entire period. I introduced her to Taxidatum and Leonardo arranged her safe car journeys whenever she went somewhere beyond walking distance. He also met her at the airport when my flight was delayed.

Mentioned in this post
Taxidatum
Taxidatum
337 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

Oh thank you! I'll do that. Do you know how far in advance I have to book them? Can you do day of or day before?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

It's not a large company. If you wait until the day before, chances are that all their drivers will be booked. I would pre-book and make sure to have either Leonardo's mobile phone or email if your bus is delayed. When he picked us up from the Cruz del Sur bus station, our bus was 30 min late but I had informed him already.

If you don't want to commit to a pre-booking in advance, you could try using Uber. Keep in mind that you'll need data and not all drivers are willing to go to the airport. It's because the airport is located in Callao and many taxi drivers don't have a permit to operate there. If they get caught, they get fined.

Mentioned in this post
Callao
Callao
154 Reviews
Lima, Peru
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

Rachel, I'm interested in finding out how you made out (or once you do this). I, too, will be traveling solo from Ica and need to get to the airport around 7pm from the bus terminal (not for a few months).

Thanks!

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Level Contributor
76 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

A few things: I felt relatively safe arriving at the bus station (Javier Prado). Had I not arranged a taxi, I wouldn't have felt as safe. There are plenty of cabs outside, but I do not know if they are registered and they didn't seem to be a part of the bus company. I used TaxiDatum and it was prompt and safe, albeit expensive.

Also, I had read that Plaza Norte wasn't safe, but I actually felt better there. I arrived there one night, asked a security guard about a taxi and he found me a safe one. I found Plaza Norte fine as well (just FYI if you need to be closer to the airport).

Mentioned in this post
Restaurant Javier
Restaurant Javier
390 Reviews
Lima, Peru
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?

Thank you for the information and tips! Glad you were safe!

Reply to: SAFE taxi from Javier Prado bus terminal to airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted