We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 different stays in Lima - suggestions

Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
2 different stays in Lima - suggestions

Hi all,

My wife and I have return flights to Lima for our Peru trip, and we are trying to organize some of the logistics. Basically we have a 30 hour trip landing into Lima at 6am on the 4th of August.

We go from there to Puerto Maldonado, then Cusco, then Arequipa, flying back out of Lima at 11pm on the 21st August.

What we were planning to do is to stay in Lima the night of the 4th of August and fly to PM at 8.30am on the 5th. It's too risky to fly directly to PM on the 4th in case our international flights are delayed etc. as we'd only have a 2 hour buffer.

At the end of our trip we are planning then to leave Arequipa on the morning of the 20th of August and flying out then the next day at 11pm.

This basically gives us about 2-3 days total to see Lima in a disjointed way. We are planning to stay in Miraflores for the night of the 20th at least, but what would be the best option for the 4th?

2 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 different stays in Lima - suggestions

I think it is a bit risky trying to take a flight to Puerto Maldonado the same morning. You said you have a 30 hour trip, so I am assuming you have at least 1 connecting flight before landing in Lima?

After a 30 hour trip, you should consider staying your first 2 nights in Lima & then 1 night at the end of your trip.

Something like this…

8/04: Lima-6am

8/05: Lima

8/06: Lima-PM

8/07: PM

8/08: PM

8/09: PM-Cusco

8/10: Cusco

8/11: Cusco

8/12: Cusco

8/13: Cusco

8/14: Cusco-Puno

8/15: Puno

8/16: Puno

8/17: Puno-Colca

8/18: Colca-Arequipa

8/19: Arequipa

8/20: Arequipa-Lima

8/21: Lima-Home

Switch the days depending on what locations you would like to spend more/less time in.

Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 different stays in Lima - suggestions

Yes I agree. Our itinerary looks like this right now:

4th - arrive in Lima @ 6am

5th - fly to PM @ 8.40am

7th - PM to Cusco @ 1pm

10th - Salkantay 5D trek

14th - Return to Cusco

16th - Fly to Arequipa @ 3pm

18th - Colca Canyon (1 night)

20th - Fly to Lima @ 12pm

21st - Fly home @ 11pm

The question is more about how best to maximize our time in Lima because it is 2 x 1 night stays rather than a single 2 night stay

Reply to: 2 different stays in Lima - suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted