We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

brussels
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

As we will be travelling to the Sibiu-area, I would be interested in having recommendations for good restaurants in the area. Also restaurants/bars/hotels where they serve good Italian style espresso are more than welcome as I have difficulties missing my daily caffeine shot ;-) (and yes, I will take my moka pot, but it's still not the same)

Mentioned in this post
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Sibiu,Romania
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

try www.sibiu.ro

British Columbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

By far and away the best place in all of Romania that we found to eat was in Sibiu. The most expensive hotel, not far from info desk at the book store in the square. I can't recall the name but you will Know it when you see it, all the famous musicians dined there and the entire decor is over 100 years old. The service is impeccable and in the late afternoon the dining room is nearly empty. I highly recommend the tomato soup...to die for fresh ingredients and for starters they have crepes with spinach and ricotta cheese that are so good you want to lick the plate. This looks like an expensive place but it is not. By the time you get nickel and dimed to death everywhere else, this actually turned out to be one of our least expensive and most scrumptious meals.

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Bucharest
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

Avoid La Regina Pizza Restaurant (is in the Central Place). First of all they have the toillets nearby the place where they are cooking . Second, I've eat a pizza and I had very much problems (around 4 hours on the toillet!!) - I'm assuming that they are not using fresh ingredients. My wife and my son had also the same problem.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

Janetravels further refers to Hotel "Imperatul Romanilor" (Spelling??), in English "The Roman Emperor". I've eaten there over the years, though not lately. I am a bit surprised to see it getting such a glowing recommendation. In general, you shouldn't expect haute cuisine, but hearty and honest Transylvanian peasant food -- which I adore.

You'll find plenty of places with espresso-style coffee, but none that are truly barista class places. Personally I prefer to take my coffee in Cafe del Sol on the Small Square (Piata Mica). Loads of cafes abound, though, on the Main Street (Nicolae Balcescu) and on the Great and Small Squares.

Outside these trend places, coffee will be traditional, Romanian "Turkish" coffee. That should still satisfy your need for a genuine jolt.

Mentioned in this post
Piata Mica
Piata Mica
244 Reviews
Sibiu, Romania
5. Re: Sibiu - restaurants & coffee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 20:15