We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucharest hotel

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Bucharest hotel

My husband and I are planning a trip to Romania in March. We arrive late afternoon to the aitport at Bucharest and planned to spend the nightt here before catching a train to Brasov the next day.

We would therefore like to stay in a hotel which is conveninent, either to central town or to the train station.

Can anyone recommend somewhere which is a reasonable price and not a business place? Alternatively, what sort of area should I be looking in?

While I'm at it - One night in Bucharest - we're in our late 20's and have travelled extensively - ideas?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Hotel Christina
Hotel Christina
#1 of 172 hotels in Bucharest
Hotel Cismigiu
Hotel Cismigiu
#3 of 172 hotels in Bucharest
InterContinental Bucharest
InterContinental Bucharest
#4 of 172 hotels in Bucharest
Houston
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucharest hotel

Once you are in Bucharest, legitimate taxis will take you almost anywhere downtown point-to-point for under $3.

There are fixed prices from the airport (about E10 to downtown); 75% of the taxis are legit, 25% are scamsters who ask E35 or so.

Scamster taxis also congregate around the train station. The good news is that if you are scammed by a taxi, you pay western taxi prices, so it doesn't feel so bad. The bad news is that you missed one of the world's great bargains, a legit Romanian taxi ride.

Here are some boutique hotels that people seem to think highly of:

Hotel Rembrandt . As central as can be. One block from Casa Doamnei, where you can get good, cheap authentic food, and a cabaret show.

Hotel Moxa. downtown residential area. Cheap taxi to anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
Pittsburg, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucharest hotel

I always recommend Vila 11 hostel. My friends own it. Clean and friendly and in March you can probably get a private room with bath no problem and reasonable rates plus breakfast. 100 meters to train station. They also offer airport pick up but can't say the price if taxi is maybe better for two people. Email them:

vila11bb@hotmail.com

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucharest hotel

You can stay at Ibis Hotel, is near the train station ! It costs about 75 euro at night.

From the airport to the center of the town I D'ONT RECOMAND any taxi ! They take you about 25 euro or more, which is a lot ! You can take the bus from Otopeni airport and arrive in Piata Victoriei, which is 10 minutes away from the train station. From Baneasa airport you can take the bus 131 and arrive in Piata Romana. From there you can take the underground for 2 stations and get to the train station !

You ca visit the center of Bucharest while staing over night, the University Plazza, the boulevard from the University Plazza To Piata Romana ! It is called Magheru boulevard ! Or, you can go from University Plazza to Unirea ! On the way there, on the left, you can go on streets and see the old center of Bucharest. It is really nice ! If you have time, until 4 o' clock you can visit the Parlament, the biggest building in Europe !

Mentioned in this post
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
Europe
Europe
World
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucharest hotel

Except for Ibis Gara De Nord, there is second Ibis hotel (since June or July 2006), it is just behind the Parlament.

I stayed in both Ibis Gara De Nord and Ibis Parlamentului, and definitely prefer the newest one.

Plus, the I.P. Marrocan restaurant is better then the restaurant of I.GdeN.

Both Ibis hotel are at least at the level of any Ibis hotel, would say even better than some in Austria for example.

For me the serious concern in Ibis was i-net connection: poor dial-up one, and overcharged (related to the quality). That was in 2005, since 2006 I stay at rental flats.

Before 2006, I also was at BW Park (not quite good but acceptable for short stay), Howard&Johnson was OK in the term of hotel facilities, comfort and services but restaurants (despite of the nice design) too boring- slow service, food- great designed, "French" quantity, poor quality (but at least safe), overpriced.

For the purpose of your stay especially (1 night stay, morning train departure), I think Ibis Gara de Nord is really the best solution (or maybe that "Villa"). Just do not eat in the restaurant- I'd rather prefer having light dinner on-drive-type in the Viva at the OMV nearby, if I can't go to any other place, one of Hard Pock Pizza for example (great food, friendly "young" atmosphere, reliable prices)

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucharest hotel

I stayed at the Vila 11 in Bucharest less than a month ago. There are cleaner places to stay in better areas of town. I was disappointed in the place. Nothing personal, just thought you should hear a viewpoint from someone who stayed there and is not a friend of the owner.

Mentioned in this post
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
6. Re: Bucharest hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 03:18