We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

Tola, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

Is there a problem leaving Canada with a one way ticket to Nicaragua? My husband and myself are moving at the end od the month so we only bought a one way ticket. Imhave heard of people being denied boarding passes at the Winnipeg Int Airport for this reason. Have you moved to Nicaragua recently?

Thanks I appreciate any relevant information.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Full Day Nicaragua Tour
42 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Free Cancellation
Full-day Nicaragua tour from Liberia...
8 Reviews
from US$160.00*
Free Cancellation
Day Trip to Granada, Masaya and...
17 Reviews
from US$90.00*
Free Cancellation
D P
Big Corn Island...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

We came to Nicaragua last year (from Halifax, NS) on a one-way ticket. We flew with American Airlines and they didn't ask us if we had a return ticket.

Before leaving for Nicaragua we had heard about the possibility of running into problems with this issue and decided to purchase bus tickets from Managua, Nicaragua to San Jose, Costa Rica. We purchased them from A Safe Passage. Their website is: http://www.costaricabustickets.com/

Although the company charges for purchasing these tickets we felt the cost was worth it because having to buy a return ticket would be considerably more. Also, we knew that we would use these tickets when we had to renew our Nicaraguan visitor's visa.

I hope you enjoy your new life here in Nicaragua.

Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Tola, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

Thanks very much for your informative message. I will check out the site you posted. I really don't want to get to the airport and not be able to get on the plane!

We are so looking forward to living in Nicaragua.

How is life for you in Nicaragua? We will be living in the Tola region.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Tola
Tola
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
D P
Big Corn Island...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

We have been here since March 2012 and are enjoying life very much. We currently are living in Leon but plan to move to the Atlantic Coast next month.

Give yourself time to adjust to the heat and you'll be fine and will enjoy being out of the snow.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

just to chime in, I found upon moving here that it took some time to adjust to the climate and the food. The heat can be an issue, but you do adjust. The food was actually a good thing as eating more fresh fruits and vegetables and much less almost no junk food and GMO franken-foods is a good way to shed some excess pounds (at least in my case).

Cheers and best of luck in your move. Welcome!

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

I am contemplating relocating to Nicaragua with my family in early 2015. I need someone to really enlighten me on the challenges I can expect to face with 4 school age children. We plan to home school them. What can I expect my overall monthly expenses to be. Will we be able to live comfortable for $2,000?

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

No one can answer that for you. Depends on your living conditions. I have a friend with 4 kids who lives for less than 1000 a month quite well. But he lives on a few acres in the country and they eat the food from their land, etc.

There are others who spend 2000 a month just on rent alone for their large family.

Local things are cheaper,but if you need american brands, or american electronics, thats all far more expensive than in the states. Food, rent, etc is all cheaper in general.

I highly recommend coming down here first and staying for a month or two before moving, just to get an idea of the day to day life, and normal stuff. Its very different vacationing here for 2 weeks, than living here on a more permanent basis.

Also things to keep in mind that only you can answer, but things to think about.

How important is safety to you, and what do you consider safe? Are you looking to live an american life in a foreign country? Have you rsearched paperwork needed to import items such as vehicles, etc, or to get residency here? If you are not getting residency are you prepared and have the money to take your family across the border every 90-180 days?

I have multiple friends that moved here with small children, so its very possible. But you definitely habe to be willing to either make a lot of sacrifices, or be able to pay for the luxury of not having to sacrifice.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

Hey, I suggest all of you check out two resources:

1. The great Moon guide "Living Abroad in Nicaragua" available on Amazon

2 .The gotonicaragua.com forum. They have a lot more info on this kind of thing and there is even a thread about one-way tickets.

Good luck. I'm jealous. We have a house but aren't quite ready to make the plunge to live down there full time.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

We flew from Vancouver BC to San Jose Costa Rica and then traveled onto Nicaragua - we were asked for our round trip ticket but we had one so no problem but during our travels in Nicaragua we spoke with other travelers and some bought bus tickets which seemed to work fine since you can easily travel between the Central American countries by transnational buses.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Mexico D.F.
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

I just had an interesting exchange with US Airways about the use of a bus ticket and one way airfare. I purchased a Ticabus ticket directly from Ticabus and presented it at the checking and was told I needed return air travel. After a little back and forth I spoke to the supervisor for about 20 minutes, firmly maintaining my freedom to travel through other countries at my own pace while she stated that a return ticket was a requirement for travel with a US passport. Eventually she left to consult with someone more knowledgable (no snark intended) and returned to say a bus ticket to Costa Rica was acceptable. Whew! Glad I got to the airport early!

Getting the Ticabus ticket was as easy as initiating a chat on their website followed by an exchange of information. Hint- to speed up the process and avoid confusion, give a range of acceptable dates and settle for tourist class. The tickets can be changed later.

The tickets were emailed to me and the cost was the same as purchasing at a Ticabus agency. Their staff was very helpful, efficient and polite. Highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Creston, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: I am moving to Nicaragua Jan 30 2013

Hi,

I hope you do not mind a question; I have researched this, but my answers end up in circles. I am a Canadian, single, with money saved in the bank, but no pension, and would like to relocate to Nicaragua, buy a small home, and apply for permanent residency. Can anyone, from your experience, tell me who is best to contact on (1) what avenues are open to me for residency (investor visa, etc.) (2) exactly which documents I need to get notarized/translated here before I go there, after I go there, etc. It's complicated here, since no embassy of Nica in Canada; I have to go through the San Fran one. (3) when can I ship my items down there (just boxes, no furniture, car, etc) I do not want to offend people by asking you for these answers, unless you have heard certain things; but if you know who to ask - the government there by email/phone, an immigration lawyer/service, etc. I would appreciate it very much. I think we learn best from each other.

Gracias,

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America