We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay on the rio san juan?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
where to stay on the rio san juan?

my husband and i want to explore the Indio Maíz Biological Reserve. where's the best place to stay on the rio san juan? may also want to do some fishing.

thanks!

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
361 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

HI

There are a few places in El Castillo or you can go to the few lodges alonge the river, Sabalos Hotel, Sabalos Lodge, Monte Cristo River Lodge or Refugio Bartolo...From the location the closest to explore es Refugio Bartolo is right on the other side of the river...they also have a hufe private property 500ha with jungle vetetation and hiking trails food is excellent the cabanas are pretty rustic. They do not have a homepage but if you like to contact them i can give to the email . I was there in may....

Salta

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
2. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

Salta2 gave some very good suggestions. I personally can recommend Sabalos Lodge and Refugio Bartolo. Both are rustic and isolated, which adds to their allure. I've been to Indio Maiz twice and have been disappointed in the lack of wildlife both times. Los Guatuzos Wildlife Refuge which is on the Rio Pappaturo (about 1 1/2 hours from San Carlos) has been a much more rewarding wildlife experience but would not give you the fishing experience you're seeking. It's just worth mentioning.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

thanks for the quick response freshmani. los guatuzos wildlife refuge is intriguing. when did you go and what did you see? what are lodging options in this area? and how do you get there?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

hi salta,

thanks for the advice. i've read about refugio bartolo and am interested in contacting them. so yes, i would like their email address. do they provide english speaking guides?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
5. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

There are basically two places to stay. One is owned by the area's most knowledgeable local guide, Armando, and his wife. Their website is xn--cabaascaimanlosguatuzos-vhc.com/paginas/…

Here is a link to a previous post of mine. As best as I can remember we've been there between October - February. It's definitely an off-the-beaten path experience and not for everyone so read up on this area. The wildlife payoff though is incredible, in part due to Armando's knowledge of the area.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
6. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

I forgot to add that Armando probably knows where the best places to fish are, as well.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

thanks for the info. does armando speak english? you forgot to include the link to your previous post. looks like an amazing place.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
8. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

Here is that post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1200488-i17999-k5…

Armondo speaks only a few words of English so it helps to have someone along who knows a little Spanish. But he once told me that he gets a lot of Europeans who don't speak Spanish and he doesn't think it was a big problem, but of course, you have to feel comfortable with that.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
361 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

Hi

E. Mail address: RefugioBartola @ yahoo.com (this email I believe is checked by Sandra’s son in Managua).

Telephone (Managua) – 505 8873 8586

Telephone (Lodge) – 505 8376 6979 Does not have always signal..

I was there in May they had a Guide how spoke some english as i communicated always in spanish i can not tell you how good his english is they have a cook which is fluent in english lived some years in the states. The owner Sandra Castrilla speak as far as i know only a bit english. Sabalos Lodge is also nice a stayed there 3 years ago...but i prefer Refugio Bartolo..more hiking trails and real primary forest..

Cheers

Salta.

10. Re: where to stay on the rio san juan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 14:18