We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Mariposa Spanish School - Some questions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
La Mariposa Spanish School - Some questions

Hi all,

So I am planning to go to La Mariposa Spanish school for a week [8 nights] in mid-Feb.

A bit about me: This will be my first time in Nicaragua [been to Costa Rica twice]. I am a nature-lover, like to walk around trails to explore and take photos of birds and other wildlife. I am a male in early 40s going by myself. Very little Spanish knowledge.

So I have a few questions for those who have been to La Mariposa..

- How big is the property? Are there trails to walk around and look for birds, frogs etc? Or any preserves close by that I can go by myself to explore?

- What are the evening activities like? Are there many people who go to those?

- I would like to spend a day at Granada since this is my first time there. But the weekend I will have there, they are not going there. It seems if I get 3 people, they can arrange a trip or I can pay equivalent of 3 people and go by myself. But I would rather go there with a few people to make it fun. Is it easy enough to get people to go on a non-scheduled trips like that? Is that common there? The reason is if that's not common, then I may have to think about movingly flights a few days before since they have that trip the Sunday before I get there.

They do have a trip to Granada on Fri evening. But I would like to take some photos and see it during the day also.

Btw, I have a hotel room reserved for myself there...

Thanks for the replies :)

- Sekar

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Mariposa Spanish School - Some questions

I was there a couple of years ago and things may have changed but I'll give this one a shot.

The property is not large enough to have trails but they do have wildlife on site. Monkeys and birds, when I was there. There is also an organic farm attached to the enterprise you can visit.

Mariposa is located in a small town - it's the real Nicaragua from a cultural perspective but you need to drive/bus a bit to get to other activities. All of the activities my friend and I did with the school were great.

As far as night activities, when I was there they were pretty low-key. Honestly, after 4 hours of intensive Spanish classes and the afternoon activity, followed by their amazing organic meals, things wound down pretty early. Your experience there will depend a lot upon how many/what type of other students are there while you are.

Day activities: Mariposa arranged a couple of side trips for us (that weren't part of the school's plans) while we were there and they were excellent. Included Granada and a fantastic afternoon/night trip to Masaya volcano. Again, whether or not you have company will depend on who is attending when you are.

If you have the flexibility to change your flight to suit the school's activities, why not?

Mariposa is great. Enjoy your rich experience there.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Granada
Granada
Masaya
Masaya
Masaya Department, Nicaragua
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Mariposa Spanish School - Some questions

Thank you for the information. I have added a couple of more days to my trip to include Granada trip also :)

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
3. Re: La Mariposa Spanish School - Some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2016, 13:16