We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about tipping in Nica

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Question about tipping in Nica

I'll be travelling to the Corn Islands, then back to Managua, and on to Masaya. The hotel in Masaya is arranging to have a cab pick me up and take me to Masaya, cost is $20 USD. I will only have a small backpack with me, so there isn't really luggage to be toted around. I'll also be taking taxis in & around Masaya while I am there. . I've read that taxi drivers usually aren't tipped. I've also read that it is customary to tip a driver for a longer trip. So my question is, what is the standard practice for tipping taxi drivers in Nicaragua?

Also, I'm reading that it is customary to tip the waiter/waitress 10% in restaurants. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Corn Islands
Corn Islands
Southern Atlantic Autonomous Region, Nicaragua
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Masaya
Masaya
Masaya Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about tipping in Nica

I don´t tip in local taxis, and don´t think I would in a long journey unless there was some really special service. The $20 seems a high enough price that I wouldn´t tip.

Restaurants can be tricky. Many include a 10% service charge. They are supposed to mark it clearly as optional, but not all do. Ten per cent seems the normal tip for a sit-down restaurant. Check your bill carefully to see if the tip has already been added so you don´t accidentally end up tipping 20%.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about tipping in Nica

Some restaurant do include the 10% service charge. But in honesty, costumer service in Nicaragua is terrible. My wife and I have been living here for two years, and it hasn't improved

Edited: 25 January 2015, 12:49
Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
3. Re: Question about tipping in Nica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2016, 14:06