We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Two week itinerary

Have been reading up on Nicaragua and checking out this forum, and am hoping to make a 2 week trip here either november, december or january. Don't want to spend most of our time travelling from one place to another so want to stay in preferably not more than 3 places (Granada, Ometeppe, Leon?) Want to incorporate Mombacho Volcano, Pueblos Blancos, Laguna de Apoyo, the beaches at Las Penitas and Poneleyo- We're a fit couple in our late fifties and looking for a mix of it all, exploring, seeing new sights, meeting the people of Nicaragua, and finishing off with a few days of relaxation. Suggestions for a rough itinerary? Also does the low canadian dollar affect the travelling costs in Nicaragua much? Have also read that Ometeppe is ok but not great, maybe skip that?

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Mombacho Volcano
Mombacho Volcano
1,088 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Laguna de Apoyo
Laguna de Apoyo
936 Reviews
La Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua
Las Penitas
Las Penitas
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week itinerary

Two weeks for Granada, Ometepe and Leon is great. Spend 3 days in Granada, you can see the city in a few hours but you can do day trips like Lake Apoyo and the pueblos blancos and Mombacho (easily accessible by bus). You can also go kayak the isletas.

Then take a bus to Rivas, taxi to San Jorge, ferry/boat to Ometepe. We like Ometepe. It depends a bit on what you like to do. We climbed both volcanoes but even without climbing them, it is great to be that close to them and you could do a shorter hike on Maderas. We like Charco Verde, the beach and nature trail with wildlife. Ojo de Agua (natural pools) is beautiful and refreshing. You can go kayaking. You could hike to the San Ramon waterfall. If you don't climb a volcano, I would suggest 3 days (including the day you travel there). Or stay longer depending on whether you go to Telica or not (see below).

Then I would break up the trip to Leon by taking a bus from San Jorge or Rivas to Masaya, see the volcano, go to the market. Then on to Managua (UCA) where you can take a minibus to Leon. Leon is a great city, lots to see (the view from the top of the cathedral is great, try the food stalls behind the cathedral). From there there are more volcanoes to climb. If you consider only one I would do the overnight Telica trek. The hike is hot but not too hard, the campsite is amazing, the sunset is great, standing on the edge of the crater, seeing lava, hearing the noise is out of this world, the sunrise is magnificent. Of course this would take almost two days (you leave in the morning and get back to Leon the next day around noon). Totally worth it to me but again, it depends on your priorities. Another much easier volcano is Cerro Negro, also an active volcano and you can board or run down (half day trip)

Then you can go to the beach. Las Penitas is a short bus ride from Leon. Good beach for walking and you can surf, boogie board, bodysurf or just play in the waves. There is also a natural reserve, Juan Venado, where you can go on a boat tour (they have sea turtle tours in the right season, November-December would still be possible) or go kayaking.

And yes, the low Canadian dollar will make travel more expensive for us Canadians.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Leon
Leon
Apoyo Resort
Apoyo Resort
183 Reviews
Ojo de Agua
Ojo de Agua
988 Reviews
Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua
Masaya
Masaya
Masaya Department, Nicaragua
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Las Penitas
Las Penitas
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week itinerary

Thanks Sonia, that's great info!

can you recommend a place to stay a few nights in Ometeppe?

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
833 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week itinerary

Good suggestions so far. I´d allow lots of time for Leon, which we really like, and plan to stay at Las Penitas for a couple of nights. It´s a great beach and it´s nice not to have to take the bus back to Leon at the end of the day. We rented kayaks and had a great paddle on the river through the nature reserve. (Next time, surfing lessons.) Don´t miss the Ortiz Gurdian Art Museum in Leon, which is in three beautiful colonial houses and has a really good collection, especially of Latin American contemporary art.

We weren´t dazzled by Ometepe, but with two weeks you have enough time to check it out. You need to think carefully about your base on the island and what you want to do, because transportation can be a bit tricky.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Las Penitas
Las Penitas
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week itinerary

On Ometepe it all depends on what you want to do. On arrival you could go straight to Charco Verde (if you do that you can take a ferry/boat to San Jose instead of Moyogalpa. San Jose is close to Charco Verde, you can walk or take a taxi). You can enjoy the view of volcano Concepcion, the beach and walk the nature trail with birds and monkeys at dusk. Then the next day you could make your way to Balgue. There are not that many buses (hardly any on Sundays) but you can take a taxi although they are not cheap. The bus from Moyogalpa to Balgue goes to Altagracia first. In Balgue we like Hospedaje Asi Es Mi Tierra but there are also ecolodges. From Balgue you can visit Ojo de Agua, Maderas and you can go kayaking (although that is a bit harder to get to). Asi Es Mi Tierra offers transportation but I don't know how much they charge.

Or instead of Balgue you can stay in Merida (San Ramon waterfall, Maderas, kayaking).

Or just stay in Moyogalpa and take a tour, then decide if there is a place you would like to stay a bit longer. If you are on a budget we liked Dona Chilo but for $25 to $50 you could stay at Hospedaje Soma, just outside of the village (walkable). The latter offered a few hiking trips and also a full day island tour by taxi for $30 per person. Many taxi drivers are willing to take you on a tour. You could also rent motorbikes in Moyogalpa.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Moyogalpa
Moyogalpa
Mi Tierra
Mi Tierra
258 Reviews
Cartago, Costa Rica
Ojo de Agua
Ojo de Agua
988 Reviews
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Hospedaje Soma
Hospedaje Soma
473 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week itinerary

thanks for all these answers. Wix, we would definitely be staying in Leon and area for 6-7 days and your suggestion of staying two nights in Las Penitas is a good one that I will keep in mind...

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Las Penitas
Las Penitas
Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week itinerary

Hi

I think its a good idea to stay only on 3 places...

I would stay first in Leon (architecture is nicer than in Granada) more interesting museums. YOu can do day excursions to Las Peinias or Poneloya Beach, Visiting the Mangrove Swamp at Reserva Isla Juan Venado Hinking Vulcanos , Sandboarding Vulcanos, Visitting the famous Rum factory at Chichigalpa etc.

Than i would stay a few days at Ometepe Island

Finally i would suggest not to stay in Granada rather would suggest stay at Laguna de Apoyo...probably the most beautiful place in whole of Nicaragua..There you can do swim, sail, kayak, hiking and bird watching etc.

And you could to day excursion to Granada, Isletas, Mombacho Vulcano National Park Vulcan Masaya, Handycraft Market Masaya, White villages

Enjoy this beautiful country

Salta

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Granada
Granada
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Laguna de Apoyo
Laguna de Apoyo
936 Reviews
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Masaya
Masaya
Masaya Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week itinerary

Hello Colette.

My wife and I just got back from Ometepe for 2 nights staying in Nicaraus studios. We loved every moment of it over there, but you do need to hire transport. We rented a motorbike, dont remember seeing any cars for hire. Unlike others, I'm not a fan of Leon, its VERY HOT, and other then the park and church, I find it boring, the beaches 30 min away are nice though. I love Granada, its the only town/city that looks like a European/Spanish town,that I have seen in Nicaragua. If you have a few extra dollars, I would recommend catching a flight over to Corn Island, only white sand you will see in Nicaragua.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Leon
Leon
Granada
Granada
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
8. Re: Two week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2016, 13:18