We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in El Salvador?

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Stopover in El Salvador?

We are looking to book flights from NYC in February and some of the flights have stops in San Salvador. Can anyone tell me what that airport is like? The layover is only about 1-2 hours but will it take us a while to go through customs? I don't want to miss our connecting flight to Managua. Also, has anyone flown avianca airlines???

6 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

Have done that many times. Once we even only had 35 minutes in El Salvador. It is a small airport. No problem. You get off the plane, walk down the hall and get on another one. We like Avianca for the flight experience (not so much if you ever want to change your ticket but that is another story). You even get a complimentary meal.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

AS Sonia mentioned is a small airport, well bigger than the Nicaraguan one, but easy to walk to any other gate and get your connection, so do not worry about it i have done it many times with Avianca and less time and even got some time to get a Local beer.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

avianca is a great airline.

Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

It's been a few years since I went, but we were flying from US through El Salvador to Nicaragua as well, and I don't recall really having to do anything other than get on the next flight. Small airport but snagged a delicious coffee at a stand and went straight to next flight. Easy layover.

Yukon
Level Contributor
242 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

I fly Avianca frequently to Central America, most of their flights have layover in San Salvador. I've spent so much time in the San Salvador airport that last winter, I made it my final stop for a month! El Salvador is lovely little country once you get past the terrifying headlines!

You only go thru immigration & customs if you want to enter El Salvador(10 USD payable at immagration for your tourist visa).The airport is small, just walk to your next gate. I've had delays a couple times in San Salvador, but Avianca always gets me to my destination eventually with minimal fuss. Expect little assistance in English in SAL. Most of the Avianca employees will speak some English, but very few Salvadorians do.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in El Salvador?

The airport is fine. Not too small, clean and some choices to grab something. You will be all right.

Reply to: Stopover in El Salvador?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua