We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting out of Managua

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Getting out of Managua

Me and three friends have a trip planned for July 4th- July 18th, we’ll be staying in Popoyo and Playa Colorado region, which we’ve heard from our air bnb hosts is still quite safe, however we’re unsure how we are going to get there from Managua given everything that is happening there. Apparently no taxis will go to Managua and there are road blockages everywhere around the city, making it hard to get to where we need to go. Is there anybody that has any idea on what our options are? We’re considering changing our flights to CR if the drama continues for much longer.

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
1. Re: Getting out of Managua

What do your hosts suggest? Are they able to arrange transportation for you? Have you checked into flying from Managua to Costa Esmeralda Airport?

You said you are thinking of changing your fights to Costa Rica. Do you mean fly into Liberia and cross southern Nicaragua border? If so you might still encounter road blocks, but my understanding is travel in southern Nicaragua has been much easier than the rest of the country - but that could change.

Maybe I need another cup of coffee, or maybe I'm simply very worried about my dear Nicaraguan friends, but I was a bit put off by your referring to the current situation as "drama." If that truly is how you feel then you probably should consider vacationing in a different country.

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
2. Re: Getting out of Managua

Tay233, I came back to edit my post but was unable to do so. So I'd like to apologize for my snarky remarks about using the word drama. I was supposed to visit Nicaragua earlier this month, but on the advice of my Nicaraguan friends I cancelled. My friends live in Masaya and Esteli, 2 of the areas that have been hot beds of protests and government repression. So the stories they have shared with me have me very concerned.

If you are looking for a stress free vacation I'm not sure you will be able to find that in Nicaragua right now. It really pains me to say that, as I have a love of the country and more importantly the Nicaraguan people. You most likely won't have any issues once you arrive at your destination, but you might be stressed about getting there, and during your stay worry about getting back out. If you are looking for a vacation that is stress and worry free you probably should look elsewhere.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Getting out of Managua

La Costena looks like it's only offering charter flights between Costa Esmeralda and Managua.

Under no circumstances should you try to travel by land between Managua and Popoyo by land.

This article provides a flavor of what ground transportation would be like:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/my-nicaragua-m…

I would reroute from Managua to Liberia and from there arrange travel to Popoyo or better yet just stay in Costa Rica where it's completely safe.

ometepe
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Getting out of Managua

Hello, you can fly to Ometepe for a few days and then take a taxi to SJDS.

Personally I would stick to the SW of NicaraguaSan Juan del Sur , Ometepe – the Corn Islands and the smaller places in the north of the country. They have not really had the civil unrest in the same way. The people are kind and happy to have you visit. Nicaragua is so diverse that there is a lot to do if you enjoy nature – surfing, hiking, diving, etc...it is also a very economical country to travel in. The best way to travel around the country right now, is to hire private taxis (they can get around any roadblocks) or via shuttle. Or plane. If coming up from Costa Rica a taxi to the ferry port (Ometepe) or San Juan del Sur is about $25- $30. A return flight to Ometepe / Managua is currently going for $57 x way + taxes. There are also daily flights to the Corn Islands.

I live in Ometepe and can tell you it is super peaceful, safe, and has been untouched by the civil unrest that has rocked other parts of the country. The sun is shining, the beach is lovely and there is a lot of natural activities to do. The nicest places to stay on the island that are open and offing pretty amazing discounts are La Soma (Moyagalpa), Finca del Sol (Santa Cruz) and Via Verde (Madronal)....there is also a heap of backpacker places with dorms and camping.

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Getting out of Managua

Thank you all for helping out, we’re still not certain on where we’ll be heading, fingers crossed our flights are waived as we will then be able to fly to Liberia, spend a few days there and then cross the border from there to get to Playa Colorados. If any of you have any updates on the current situation and whether it’s possible to get in/out of Managua, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Taryn.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Getting out of Managua

It's possible to do many things that are a really bad idea. Under no circumstances should extranjeros be trying to travel in the area around Managua-Masaya-Jinotepe-Granada. Don't tempt fate.

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Getting out of Managua

Haha yes, I should clarify, whether it’s possible to do so safely... in Australia the situation isn’t being covered in great deal by the media so I’m reading what articles are available, which aren’t giving much information for potential tourists. United airlines are getting in touch with me next week to let me know whether the waiver has been extended to our dates. If we don’t get to fly elsewhere, we’re considering flying to Ometepe and leaving from there to get to Popoyo, as suggested above. We’re still nervous about road blockages between those towns, so if anyone hears anything - let me know. We’re getting conflicting information from our Airbnb hosts, telling us the situation isn’t as bad as what the media is portraying 🤷‍♀️

Truckee
4 posts
1 review
8. Re: Getting out of Managua

Yes, enter from CR. You would probably make it from Managua but much of your trip would be wasted sitting at roadblocks when you’d much rather be surfing.

Maclean, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Getting out of Managua

We are also flying into Managua, although from Sydney. Also with United. Will be interesting if they allow for changing the flight into another destination such as Costa Rica without charging extra.

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Getting out of Managua

We are also flying from sydney, what date are you leaving? We’re flying July 3rd in the morning, stopping over in Houston for 24 hours and then into managua July 4th... we are still crossing our fingers for a waiver to Liberia, and will probably still go to Popoyo and Playa Colorados just by crossing the southern border instead. Which region are you visiting?

Reply to: Getting out of Managua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua