We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Nantucket with young children

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day in Nantucket with young children

Hi! We are visiting Nantucket with our 1 year old and our 2.5 year old for the day. My hubby and I would love suggestion on how to plan our day. We are visiting the Cape and would love to tour the island with the girls. Sample itineraries, could include activities, sights, and restaurants, thank you all so much for your help. This is our first family vacation. We are new to this ;)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Hi, unfortunately there is not a Destination Expert for Nantucket, hopefully someone who has visited with kids will chime in. In the meantime, here is a good link:

http://www.nantucketkid.com/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Thank you so much for the helpful link. I appreciate you taking the time to show me that:)

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

I'd recommend thinking about the drive from Boston to Hyannis and then the boat ride. There are places to stop in Hyannis if you want to break up the travel time. The fast ferry may be worth the expense.

Curious about why Nantucket vs MV? Oak Bluffs has a vintage carousel and lots of kid-friendly stuff.

MV has the Black Dog ship and bakery, the carousel and beaches, also closer to the Cape, shorter ferry ride.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 07:18
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Caroline - the OP indicated they would be on the Cape when making the trip. I was also thinking about suggesting the Vineyard, too. But I didn't because Nantucket because it is smaller so it may be easier to navigate with 2 kids under 3. From Hyannis, the length of the ferry rides are about the same - only 5-10 minutes difference. Of course, Woods Hole to the Vineyard is the fastest.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 07:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Whoops...thanks or catching that. I missed that OP would be on Cape already.

I think of MV as livelier than Nantucket. No?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Yes, and more to do on the Vineyard. But, Nantucket is a very special place, too!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Personally, and please note that I said personally, I would stay on the Cape with the little ones. They will not appreciate being dragged around all day, they are too small. If this is your first time on the Cape there's more than enough to see and do. Believe me they will be much happier spending time on the beach than driving to Hyannis, sitting on a boat for several hours etc etc.

Save the islands for the next time you go to the Cape, I'm sure that there will be a next time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. We are going to Nantucket tomorrow. I have some ideas of what we will do. I will let you know how it goes. :)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

I hope that you prove me wrong and have a lovely day.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Nantucket with young children

We had a lovely day in Nantucket! The weather was perfect. 75 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. We left on the 8 am ferry with a 3:15 return. When we arrived to Nantucket we picked up our checked strollers and were on our way. We had a delicious breakfast at Black Eyed Susan's. although it was small and only had boosters we were all still able to enjoy a nice breakfast. After breakfast we took a stroll and walked along the brick side walks down many beautiful streets. My favorite was Union St. The ride put both girls to sleep for a nap. We got into center of town and did some shopping. We then headed for the Nantucket Hotel and resort, where I had a meeting. My children and my husband went to the pool during my meeting. Afterward, they were so sweet and gave us a ride in their vintage fire truck to Jetties beach were we had a picnic lunch and got to do a little swimming. The Nantucket Hotel and Resort arranged a pick up for us and took us back to the Ferry. We had a perfect day!

Get answers to your questions about Nantucket