We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Arrived at the Hyannis Transportation Center via P&B bus from North Truro at 8:00am. Checked with the Cap Cod Regional Transpotation Authority's information desk for courtesy transportation to the Hy-Line docks and received a free taxi voucher to the docks.

Boarded the 9:10am fast ferry and arrived in Nantucket at 10:10am. Walked from the dock to my hotel, The Veranda House to check in.

At the front desk I received a street map of Nantucket, directions to the Greenhound stop as well as an invitation to their afternoon reception.

Walked to the Greenhound stop On Washington St and to take the WAVE bus to Siasconset where I enjoyed a walk around the village as well as the Bluff walk. The village and the Bluff Walk are very pretty, flowers displayed a lot of color. The only bus route connecting Nantucket town with Siasconset that time of the year goes via the Old South Road and is not as scenic and pretty as the destination.

The bus takes 30 mins each way and costs $2.00 each way.

After an hour I took the WAVE back to Nantucket, got off near Sayle's Seafood Market for a fried fish sandwich which I ate on their front porch, overlooking the water.

From Sayle's I walked back to the hotel, taking my time looking at landmarks as well as shops.

Tried to make a dinner reservation at the recommended Centre Street Bistro (thanks Kendrick) however, they did not open Mon and Tues during October, so reserved at Queequeg's instead.

Joined other hotel guests for glass of sparkling wine on the hotel terrace and went to dinner afterwards.

Dinner at Queequeg's was Tuna Tartare as appetizer and a main course of excellent broiled scallops. Total w/o any drink, tax and tip came to $30.

The following morning I rose early and walked to the Brant Point Lighthouse and beach. This area and the beach are really pretty.

Went back to hotel to join other guests for a delicious breakfast of coffee, juice, a fruit platter, a pastry basket, assorted butters, spread and jellies as well as a souffle on the terrace overlooking the gardens.

After breakfast I visited the Whaling Museum at opening time 10:00am, looked at some of their exhibits and viewed an hour-long film presentation about the history of Nantucket.All very informative and interesting. Made a short visit in the gift shop to purchase post cards, stopped at the Atheneum to write the cards and mailed them en route to Murray's Toggery where I bought a bowtie as a gift.

Then I had to rush back to the hotel, pick-up my luggage, check out and catch the 1:25pm ferry to Hyannis where I arrived at 2:30pm.

Hailed a cab to the Sunnyside Family Restaurant on Main Street ($3.50 w/o tip). There I ate a good lobster roll with excellent French fries for $ 12.99 w/o tax and tip. Walked a few steps back to the Transportation Center for the 4:00pm P&B bus back to North Truro. This bus stops on request on 6A and let me out right in front of my condo at 6:00pm.

I had a lovely trip with two days of excellent weather and would like to return to Nantucket, there is so much to do and see in town.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 04:35
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Glad you had fun. Thanks for the report.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

You have really got the travelling without a car down to a fine art. Very helpful for others who may want to try it.

Are you going to give us a trip report on your time on the Cape. Enjoyed the last one that you did.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 06:53
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Yes, I will post more about my month on the Cape. I had such a great time and good weather so I really could visit a lot of places. Will break up the report into - for me - more manageable sections.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

And perhaps one for Salem, too? :-)

I enjoyed this report and look forward to reading about your Cape visit. Thanks for posting.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Thanks so much for posting this, MM! Informative & helpful. Sounds like a lovely trip, sorry about Centre St. Bistro, but maybe an excuse to go back? I know I can't wait for another opportunity to explore Nantucket.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

You are so right Kendrick, will add the Centre Street Bistro to my already existing list of excuses for another visit in Nantucket. Have confirmed my 2014 reservation in North Truro for 9/15-10/16 and hope to revisit Nantucket as well as Salem adding maybe a day or two in Boston.

United States
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

Seems like you had a perfect slice of Nantucket during your brief stay. You discovered the best time to visit Nantucket. My family has owned a house in town for decades and our favorite time to visit is September 1-October 15. No crowds, great weather and most places are still open. Also consider June, the flowers are all blooming and the crowds haven't arrived yet. You were correct in not bringing a car, not necessary!. By the way, we NEVER go to Nantucket in August.

8. Re: Trip Report - October 7-8, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Nantucket