We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

california
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

Hi All,

We have never been to Nantucket and would like to rent a house there the last two weeks in June, Any recommendations as to what each location has to offer? Nantucket? Siasconset?

Thanks!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

Although I love Nantucket, I'm an infrequent visitor, so I don't profess to be any sort of expert. That said, assuming that you mean the town center when you refer to "Nantucket" (I believe the whole island is actually a single town, Nantucket), the biggest difference between there and 'Sconset is that in town you can walk to a large number of restaurants, bars, and shops, whereas there's very little commercial development in 'Sconset--one restaurant and one small general store that I can conjure up out of memory. Staying in town, you might realistically be able to do without a car. I wouldn't want to do that for two weeks in 'Sconset.

In my opinion, 'Sconset is an exceptionally enchanting corner of an enchanting island, and I think I'd be inclined in that direction, other things being equal or at least comparable.

Enjoy.

new england
Level Contributor
411 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

Last two weeks of June could be hot, warm, or cold weather, dry or totally drenched in rain. The water temp, regardless, will be cold (in fact it typically only 'warms up' in Aug/Sep and, even then, it isn't bathtub water). So, staying near downtown (meaning historic downtown Nantucket where there are stores, restaurants, ferry dock, etc) vs. on the beach (lots of locations..if you look at vrbo you will get a good gander at the possibilities and price ranges from simple capes to manses but you'll probably want to use a realtor if it's your first trip), is probably the better bet.

That said, I have friends who have, for the past 40 years, rented all of June on a remote beach...specifically because they like to sea kayak, cook, read, write and be left alone; they seldom go downtown.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

If the prices of lodging, dining and so forth are off-putting once you do your research you can still visit Cape Cod. Nantucket is the most expensive option you can choose in this area but, hey maybe you'll run into super rich John Kerry wind surfing when he has some time off from being Sec. of State. There is a lot of variety of accommodations and restaurants and scenery on the Cape itself if you want to consider it.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
480 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

Brant Point or "in town" will give you the most to do, especially for two weeks.

5. Re: Locations in Nantucket to rent a house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Nantucket