We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

Hi, we arrive at GC airport Saturday 25/3 and are intending to head straight to Antigua. We are very keen to see some of the local processions/decorations etc for Lent. My research tells me there is a procession of "Jesus Nazareno de la Dulce Murado at Aldea de Santa Ana in Antigua and also a procession at Holy Shrine Parish El Gallito (Zone 3 GC). Not sure what these entail - can anyone tell me?? Which one would be the best to see? (we could stay the night in GC 25/3 and then head to Antigua after the procession on Sunday if need be) What time are they?? Any help at all I can get would be appreciated. Thanks!!

5 replies to this topic
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

I do love the Santa Ana Procession in Antigua. Hopefully you will be arriving in GC early so you can get to Santa Ana before the procession starts and the carpets made out of colored sawdust, vegetables, flowers etc...are still intact. The past few years Santa Ana has had some really awesome carpets. When they procession starts they walk over the carpets. Now I usually don't go to see the processions as they just get too crowded for me but I do love the carpets. You can either take a tub tub to Santa Ana or just walk there...its only 15 min walk or so from Antigua. Once the procession starts it lasts a long time. I think maybe the Santa Ana one starts around 11:00..they walk into Antigua and around town and then walk back to the church they started from...often getting back around 10:30-11:00 at night. You can pick up the route for the procession in Parque Central where they have kiosks that pop up on procession days with flyers of the route and approximate times they reach certain checkpoints. Getting into Antigua on procession days can be difficult as sometimes they close the road to Guatemala City...

Edited: 02 February 2017, 09:46
Asia
Level Contributor
68 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

Is the Santa Ana Procession in Antigua on Sunday 26th March this year ?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
284 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

xxxasia, yes. Sunday March 26.

The schedule of velaciones and procesiones in the Antigua area during lent is available (in spanish) here:

cucuruchoenguatemala.com/pregon-cuaresma-201…

It doesn't give a time or route for any of these, but most of the processions that start in the little towns surrounding Antigua go all around Antigua proper. So, you wouldn't necessarily need to go down to Santa Ana to see the procession, only if you want to see the alfombras. (Since it's their local church procession, the locals would put more time into making some nice alfombras, and alfombras along the rest of the route will be somewhat spotty and will be less amazing than what they'll do for holy week).

I always like to watch a children's procession during lent. If you're going to be in Antigua on April 1, you should try to see the "procession infantil" which is leaving from Escuela de Christo--one of the big cathedrals on Antigua's southeast side. Again, it will go all over the city.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

While some parts of GC are fine, El Gallito is not one of them.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua

Thankyou so much for this information - this was exactly the sort of information I was hoping to get and I definitely definitely want to see the carpets, so awesome to know where I need to be. Thankyou so much for taking the time to help me out!!

Reply to: Fourth Sunday of Lent in Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua