We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding Hotel

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Destination Wedding Hotel

My fiancé and I are going to be married at Lake Atitlan on May 20 this year and we have family and friends that are traveling from the States to join us. We will have a one day/night in Antigua before heading to the Lake, and would like to find a hotel that could accommodate between 14 and 16 guests, is centrally located, and reasonably priced. Any suggestions? A hotel with a restaurant would be a bonus for us to host a welcome dinner, but if not, any suggestions for excellent local Guatemalan fare would be outstanding. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
662 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Lake Atitlán Sightseeing Cruise with...
22 Reviews
US$97 per adult
Free Cancellation
Hike Around Lake Atitlan
1 Review
US$50 per adult
Free Cancellation
Lake Atitlan Family Fun Day from...
2 Reviews
US$99 per adult
Free Cancellation
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Wedding Hotel

You may want to look into Hotel La Soleil Antigua. I have been to Antigua multiple times and have stayed here twice.

It is a very popular hotel for middle class residents of Guatemala City. It is large by Antigua standards so getting rooms for 16 people should not be a problem. It also has restaurants, banquet facilities, and a really nice inexpensive buffet. It is clean, with a nice ambiance, and is "usually" reasonably priced. Seems to be a popular place for locals to get married as well. The only downside is that it is not in the heart of the town. It is within easy walking distance, but requires some walking. Not a big deal for me because I like walking and seeing, but it might be for some. They also have a free shuttle to the plaza for those that don't want to walk.

Edited: 04 February 2017, 03:33
Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Wedding Hotel

That's not a busy time of year for many Antigua hotels. The rate shown on the Casa Santo Domingo website for late May is around $200 per night, taxes included. That's a high price for Guatemala and more than La Soleil, but it's truly an outstanding property that is very well rated by visitors from the States. Also, with a group of 14-16 you might be able to negotiate a lower price.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Restaurante Casa Santo Domingo
Restaurante Casa Santo...
667 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Wedding Hotel

I'd second the recommendation for Casa Santo Domingo, if you/your guests can swing it financially.

Hotel La Soleil is nice, but I would hate walking into Antigua along the main highway into/out of the city--it's pretty tight, with uneven sidewalks and lots of traffic. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Three other places that will be cheaper than Santo Domingo, have restaurants/banquet facilities, and would be easily walked to:

1) Posada de Don Rodrigo. Location, location location. It's right in the middle of the action. It might be full already because it gets a lot of tour groups. I think the restaurant serves traditional guatemalan food.

2) Porta Hotel Antigua, not in the middle of the city but not too far. It's been ages but I think they serve traditional guatemalan food.

3) Panza Verde, even farther from the action, but it's a pleasant walk. The restaurant is excellent but is more euro-centric (french/italian style food).

Mentioned in this post
Restaurante Casa Santo Domingo
Restaurante Casa Santo...
667 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Antigua
Antigua
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Posada de Don Rodrigo
Posada de Don Rodrigo
232 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Porta Hotel Antigua
Porta Hotel Antigua
988 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Wedding Hotel

Hi Craig,

I recommend you visit the web and the reviews on TA of the hotel La Quinta de las Flores: www.quintadelasflores.com/cuartos.

I stayed with my family in one of the cottages and they are cute.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Flores
Flores
Peten Department, Guatemala
5. Re: Destination Wedding Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2018, 13:16