We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

Moraga, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

My husband and I are considering this school for Spanish language immersion and would like to hear any comments from people who have studied with CSA's program. Thanks!

Pacaya Volcano Tour and Hot Springs...
5 Reviews
from US$99.00*
Free Cancellation
Pacaya Volcano Tour and Hot Springs...
17 Reviews
from US$99.00*
Free Cancellation
Antigua Mountain Adventure Tour on...
14 Reviews
from US$65.00*
Free Cancellation
Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

I have studied at an Don Pedro but I know a number of people that have studied there. They were pleased. CSA is more structured than most schools. If you like a structured program, this is the school I would recommend. They have very nice (maybe a little noisy) facilites. It is professionally run.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

i studied at 3 different schools in Antigua. My favorite was Maximo Nivel for 2 big reasons...they give you some excellent books after they test your Spanish Level and you physical space is good so you don't hear other students talking at the same time as you. I liked CSA as they also give you seem pretty good books(not as good as Maximo Novel) but the problem I had was that the sound just bounced everywhere in their..very hard to concentrate..I asked my teacher to leave the building and so we di to go some place quieter....

Edited: 12 February 2017, 01:17
Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Moraga, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

Thank you for the input!

Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

In Antigua, I have studied at La Union. My experience is that it is not so much about the school as it is about the teacher you get. A great teacher at a lesser known school is much better than an average teacher at a well known school. At least that has been my experience.

So if I were asking the question here, I would describe myself (gender, age range, native English speaker?, current proficiency of Spanish etc) and ask for recommendations for teachers that would be a good fit. Once I have the right teacher, I would then work out the school, housing and everything else.

Some of the best teachers get booked far in advance, so it is better to arrange it early rather than just show up and get assigned whoever is available.

If you start with the right teacher, it will be a lot more enjoyable from day one, and you will avoid having to diplomatically ask for a different teacher in mid-course. Those are my thoughts, and experience anyway.

Good luck. Antigua is a great place to visit!

Edited: 18 February 2017, 05:29
Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Moraga, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

Thank you for the input, Craig - How did you go about finding a great teacher on your own? CSA had us complete a questionnaire that was what I would call a personality "test" -- i.e., am I a visual learner, tactile, etc., also some personal background information on years of Spanish, age, purpose for learning Spanish. Then I took an online Spanish grammar / vocabulary test. According to them, they will use this to place me in a level, and match me with a teacher. If anyone has suggestions regarding specific instructors to request (or avoid), I would appreciate the input!

6. Re: Any comments on CSA immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2018, 14:18