We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing and Language

Level Contributor
89 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing and Language

Next week we are going to Lake Atitlan and Antigua, and wonder about the following:

1. Is wearing shorts acceptable hiking around the lake, in Pana and villages around lake, and in Antigua and surrounding areas, or are shorts only for us uncultured tourists? Wearing jeans will not be a hardship, but if left to my own devices I would wear shorts during the day in the projected 80+ degree weather.

2. My Spanish is somewhat rusty. Any suggestions for quick reference to communicate and comprehend, whether through iPhone or a printout?

Filadelfia Coffee Resort & Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ninos de Guatemala
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing and Language

Some tourists/expats wear shorts most of the time, and around the lake, even some locals wear them now. But they shouldn't be too short. Antigua is less informal. Can't make a language recommendation, though some people get by with typing something into Google translate on their phones and showing it to the person they're speaking with.

Edited: 16 February 2017, 23:41
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,644 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing and Language

I generally wear pants/capris or skirts instead of shorts, partly for cultural reasons. You'll see lots of shorts and even the short shorts that are best avoided so it's a personal choice. I like to pack really light and don't bring jeans - they're heavy and bulky, take forever to dry, and line dry stiff. I prefer lightweight wicking fabrics for both tops and bottoms.

There are lots of apps and booklets and charts you can buy - see them in bookstores and online sometimes but speak Spanish well enough I haven't been tempted so can't recommend anything specific.

3. Re: Clothing and Language

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2018, 14:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now