We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

Oxford
Level Contributor
367 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

We are planning to go from Mandalay to Bagan at the end of January and can't decide which method of transport to use. We definitely don't want to fly. The ferry sounds romantic. What are peoples recent experiences of these different methods

12 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

Have not done the train, Mandalay 07:20 to Bagan (Nyaung Oo) arrive: 18:45.

So nearly 12 hours if on time.

Bus takes about 5 hours.

Boat about 8-9 hours but quite expensive now.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

We loved the boat (we took it yesterday). It cost $42 including lunch plus a pricey taxi on arrival. It moves slowly. After Sagaing, there's not too much to see. But it was wonderful.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

I too enjoyed the boat. Relaxing on my seat or on the rail watching the other boats, the temples, whatever.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,968 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

Another vote for the boat...

SS

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

took the boat down,took the train back

loved both trips

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

The boat would be a relaxing trip but the bus would be the fastest.

Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

I prefer boat.

Austria
Level Contributor
465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

bus mandalay-bagan 5 hours, morning time, 8 to 13 pm, maybe 10 dollars, best option,

train 10pm , arrive 3am, 2 dollars, very inconvenient time, all hotels closed, unless you have booked, pickup bus from trainstation around 4 am, also motorbikes,

boat takes all day, morning to evening, most expensive and most slowly, not much to see.

9. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2017, 18:30

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?

HeinRich there is a morning train as I posted above. I have arrived in Bagan early morning adn got a room, they were used to people on buses arriving around 3am but that was a few years ago now. Boat was good first few hours and then I agree not much to see.

Reply to: Mandalay to Bagan - Bus Train or Ferry ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted